Can't install, at all... RRS feed

• Question

• This is rather annoying, I can't even get to see Vista yet.

I am trying to install onto my Dell Latitude CSx, which, I understand it's CPU spec is below, but I do have 512MB RAM installed right now (had to butcher the laptop to get to the non-user upgradable RAM stick, which is directly under the keyboard, so I could have two 256MB sticks)...

Installation fails all the time, but what's interesting here, is that it is completely random, but it never can get past when I click the Install button.

Here is two pictures, this is what I get the most...

http://www.spymac.com/upload/gallery/2006/06/08/g473914_nogo.jpg

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/visanoerror.jpg

Any ideas as to what is causing this is greatly appreciated, thanks..

By the way, I have downloaded the ISO twice, and burned them onto DVDs twice (at the slowest speed my burner would go, 2x, and it does pass disc verification.)
    Saturday, June 24, 2006 12:00 PM

All replies

• I would like to post an update...

I am trying installation on my other PC, one which has a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, onboard video (GeForce4 MX), and only 384MB RAM (i know, not enough), and oddly, it is so far, going through with the installation...
    Saturday, June 24, 2006 7:55 PM
  • having a below spec computer won't cause errors like that during install...

i'd say it may be a RAM or DVD Drive problem...

goto www.memtest.org, download a run MemTest+ on your laptop (at-least an hour...i prefer to run it overnight) and if it comes up with ANY errors (you'll know when it does) then some of your RAM is faulty.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 10:27 AM
  • I managed to get Vista installed on the laptop, I did it within Windows and did an upgrade..  It went fine, except VERY slow.

So I did memtest, and as it seems, the 256MB stick I installed on the top RAM slot (the hidden one under the keyboard), isn't working, so I am only actually getting 256MB RAM..  it's weird too, cause in XP, it says 512MB, but in vista, it does infact show 256MB..
    Sunday, June 25, 2006 5:29 PM