Tips on preparing to migrate from Win 7 32-bit to Win 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A couple of things are prompting me to migrate from 32 bit to 64 bit w/Win 7. First, I'd like to take advantage of all 4 GB of RAM I have and to be ready for when I add an additional 4 GB of RAM later this year. Second, there have been some unusual system instability matters to deal with ever since I used Vista Services Optimizer. I've already uninstalled that piece of software but the effects are still the same: Sometimes, such as when running my PC overnight for tasks which take a 3+ hours to complete (ie, backing up my computer or running a full disck check on my drive), I'll find the computer to have shutdown due to a BSOD instead of being in Sleep mode after the idle time upon completion of its task.

I've used the Win 7 Easy Transfer software to backup user accounts on my computer as well as have current full system backups via Windows Backup and Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010.

With installing Win 7 64 bit, I know I need to do a custom install, but is there a possibility that restoring settings via Windows Easy Transfer might re-introduce the problems I believe Vista Services Optimizer caused to my system? I've got all my software install applications and discs and serial numbers as well (plus I've checked them all for 64 bit compatibility and all pass with flying colors). Those that don't are not being reinstalled until I upgrade them.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Eric

Monday, June 28, 2010 10:08 PM

Answers

• With low price of disk drives nowadays, I developed a practice to replace the disk alltogether when I reinstall my system(s). In fact, I cycle them. When I reinstall, I would:

1. Remove original disk from the system.
    2. Install another disk that I used before and which I repartitioned/reformatted.
    3. Install OS.
    4. If everything is OK, I would install removed disk from 1 above as a second (or third disk) in the system.

After some time, a week or two, if everything is OK, I would delete unneeded data from the original disk (\Windows, \Program Files etc) and consolidate data that I still need. I would move that data to another "data" drive or burn it to DVD's.

If anything goes wrong, I still have my original disk.

As far as your question is concerned, if you are satisfied with your settings in the old configuration, you may safely transfer them to the new one. If not, don't transfer. 

You may create a test account and if everything is OK, you may repeat the transfer with your "real" account. If not, simply delete "test" account and associated profile data and start over. 

• Marked as answer by sfo_eric Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:20 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Windows Easy Transfer is more concerned with data files than it is with the settings that are configured in Services section of the OS.  I'd think it highly unlikely that you could "move" your problem from one OS to the other by using Windows Easy Transfer. 

Since you have a multiple full system backups, I think you're good to go...

Mike...
    • Proposed as answer by SenneVL Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:41 PM

All replies

• With low price of disk drives nowadays, I developed a practice to replace the disk alltogether when I reinstall my system(s). In fact, I cycle them. When I reinstall, I would:

1. Remove original disk from the system.
    2. Install another disk that I used before and which I repartitioned/reformatted.
    3. Install OS.
    4. If everything is OK, I would install removed disk from 1 above as a second (or third disk) in the system.

After some time, a week or two, if everything is OK, I would delete unneeded data from the original disk (\Windows, \Program Files etc) and consolidate data that I still need. I would move that data to another "data" drive or burn it to DVD's.

If anything goes wrong, I still have my original disk.

As far as your question is concerned, if you are satisfied with your settings in the old configuration, you may safely transfer them to the new one. If not, don't transfer. 

You may create a test account and if everything is OK, you may repeat the transfer with your "real" account. If not, simply delete "test" account and associated profile data and start over. 

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Windows Easy Transfer is more concerned with data files than it is with the settings that are configured in Services section of the OS.  I'd think it highly unlikely that you could "move" your problem from one OS to the other by using Windows Easy Transfer. 

Since you have a multiple full system backups, I think you're good to go...

Mike...
    • Proposed as answer by SenneVL Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Thanks Mike and Les! As a matter of fact Les, since you mention it, I do have 3 other additional hard drives on my system. My 2nd disk contains a Data partition where most, if not all, program data files are saved too (not the actual applications mind you, but any data that is created with those applications). My 3rd drive, a WD Caviar Green 1TB is used for all full system image backups created by Backup Exec and then the 4th drive, a WD Caviar Green 2TB drive is where I keep all of my WIndows Backup System Images.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:23 PM
  • I gues you are on the safe side.

But be extra carefull. There's been a post on this forum recently, where someone reformatted a wrong drive. It's best to disconnect other drives when you do a critical task such as repartitioning/reformatting, especially if you use two drives of the same capacity and properties (same drive model).

Another thing. It is not good to keep backup on the same computer even if it is on a different physical disk. There can always be a fire, a flood or theft, whatever.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Good point Les. I think I'll make a plan that after each full system backup, still need to decide if its the Windows created one or the Symantec one, but I'll remove that drive from the computer to keep it safe.

Thanks for the input!

Eric

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:14 PM