none
Deployment share connection error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a MDT setup in a workgroup environment. I have edited the bootstrap.ini to include my admin user id of

UserID=IP\adminuser

UserPassword=MyAdminPassword

I ran the litetouch.wsf on my reference computer I am trying to capture and it initially connects to the DS to start the process but when the MS solution accelerators screen appears on reboot and it tries to connect to the DS again I get the error telling me a connection to the DS could not be made. Connection OK. Possible cause: invalid credentials. Even though it is the the same credentials that connected to the DS during the litetouch.wsf script correct? Or is there another config file I am supposed to set the credentials in for the next part?

I am new to WDT so I appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

• Edited by jgbka Monday, April 21, 2014 6:09 PM
    Monday, April 21, 2014 12:02 PM

Answers

• Well I could really help you out but at that point you'd just have to hire me as a consultant. ;) I could build it all out in a couple hours. Anyway, yes when dealing with hardware you need to have drivers for Windows PE. Honestly you really should never build a reference image on hardware, use a virtual machine. Windows 8 or Server 2012 R2 has Hyper-V, you just need to add it (Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off). Do your building and testing on virtual machines, you don't even need to inject any drivers.

Oh and you can get the digital version of that book from Amazon.

As for the drivers: http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/112/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management.aspx

There is no "create and capture" task like the sysprep and capture. In fact you just use the standard client task sequence, but by having set DoCapture=YES, it'll sysprep and capture at the end of the task sequence.

This is my task sequence to build a Windows 8.1 reference image. The only real magic is setting the suspend task. It's a command line: cscript.exe "%SCRIPTROOT%\LTISuspend.wsf"

• Edited by Dan_Vega Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by jgbka Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:06 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:49 PM

All replies

• Entry should be:

UserID=MDTUser
    UserDomain=MDTServer
    UserPassword=P@ssword

Looks like you are trying to combine the domain and the username in the same property UserID.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, April 21, 2014 5:51 PM
  • Thank you for your reply but I thought if we were not in a domain environment I did not have to include the userdomain field in my bootstrap file. Are you telling me I do include the userdomain field and just indicate the mdt servers name instead of a domain name? I would use the IP instead of name since it cannot resolve in the workgroup right?

Thank you for your insight.

• Edited by jgbka Monday, April 21, 2014 6:12 PM
    Monday, April 21, 2014 6:11 PM
  • If it's not on the domain you can still use the MDT servers machine name in the USERDOMAIN field. Also make sure your bootstrap contains DeployRoot=\\IPADDRESS\Sharename
    Monday, April 21, 2014 8:10 PM
  • Thank you for the confirmation Dan. I tried many configurations of the bootstrap and I believe I did one with the following:

DeployRoot=\\IPADDRESS\Sharename
    UserID=MDTUser
    UserDomain=MDTServer
    UserPassword=P@ssword

but I am going to start fresh tomorrow and try again.

So when it is a workgroup config there isn't anywhere else I need to define a setting by IP besides the deployroot path in the bootstrap correct? Not in any properties of the DS or anything right? Also, there isn't anything special I need to set for the account I am using to connect to the MDT other than it having admin rights correct?

Thank you again.

Monday, April 21, 2014 9:16 PM
  • Whatever user account you use, must exist on the deployment server, but that should be obvious. There are two sets of permissions to worry about, the share permission and the NTFS permissions (security). Set the everyone group to have change permission in the Share. But in the security tab, make sure the everyone group is not listed or that you remove it. Then add the account you intend to use for deployment and give it the change permission. Apply this to all folders and files within that share. This would also apply to any other share you might have made for MDT such as Logs, Migration Data, Backup, etc.

Also don't forget if you change the bootstrap you have to update your deployment share and use the newly generated boot files for the changes to take effect.

Monday, April 21, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Yes, I am using an account that has admin permissions on the DS and it has all the necessary share/ntfs perms on the share. I will double check in the morning though. I am also updating my DS each time I make a change to the boot files.

I will start again fresh in the morning following all of this guidance which I thought I was but obviously maybe not, LOL. I will post back in the morning.

Thank you for your time.

Monday, April 21, 2014 11:18 PM
  • I am still getting the attached error. In my bootstrap I have the following:

DeployRoot=\\IPADDRESS\Sharename
    UserID=MDTUser
    UserDomain=MDTServer
    UserPassword=PA$$word

Is it looking for a DHCP address or soemthing because I am used to having to specify a static IP in a workgroup environemnt on my other MDT server but I did not set that one up so I am unsure how to tell the PE that a static needs to be assigned. Could that be it?
    • Edited by jgbka Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:47 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:41 PM
  • Try dropping into a command prompt an run the net use manually:

NET USE * \\<Server>\<Share> /user:<MDTServer>\<UserID> <UserPassword>

that way you can rule out the credentials themselves being an issue.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Quick question, are you booting to media to run a deployment or are you running litetouch from within an existing OS? To run from within an OS I just created a batch file for myself or others in our department to use.

@echo off

REM Created by: Daniel Vega

REM ----------------------------------------------
    REM | Use this to deploy from an active machine. |
    REM ----------------------------------------------

echo.
    echo.
    echo ****  LTS Deployment Services  ****
    echo.
    echo When using Windows Vista or above, you MUST be logged on as the root Administrator.
    echo.
    echo If not logged in as Admin press Ctrl-C or
    pause
    cls
    echo ****  LTS Deployment Services  ****
    echo.
    echo.
    REM Mapping to Deployment server to access files and scripts.
    echo == Log on to share with your account if prompted ==
    NET USE M: \\SERVER\SHARE

REM This runs the deployment script.
    cscript M:\Scripts\LiteTouch.vbs

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:32 PM
  • I have done it from within the OS and booted via media. Same error on both. The NET USE command works successfully.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:50 PM
  • Let's start from the beginning. How did you build the image? Did you just install Windows on a computer and now you intend to run the sysprep and capture sequence? If so, don't. You're better off creating a single task sequence to create and capture your reference image.

I don't want to take away from Mikael and Johan so I'll strongly recommend you buy: Deployment Fundamentals - Volume 4.

But if you create a task sequence to build your reference image, it makes it quick to rebuild a new one and eliminates mistakes since it'll mostly be automated. You can also make MDT do the work for you by having "DoCapture=YES" set so that at the end of the sequence it'll just capture it. No need to run a separate sequence. Just be sure to use the suspend script if you need to make some customizations or set policies before it gets captured.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:33 PM
  • We have a computer built and I want to capture it via the task. I do not see a task to create and capture TS, the only one I see in regards to capturing is the sysprep and capture.

I will look into the book you reference but until I am able to get that I need to figure this out, LOL.

I believe I need to somehow tell the process what IP to use but it is not giving me the bdd screen to assign the static upon reboot if I do the script from within the OS. If I boot via the ISO it does give me the bdd screen but after I set the static IP it still does not connect and comes back with the same error.

Do I need to first import an out of the box nic driver or something?

I will figure it out eventually hopefully, LOL. Thank you all for your ideas.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Well I could really help you out but at that point you'd just have to hire me as a consultant. ;) I could build it all out in a couple hours. Anyway, yes when dealing with hardware you need to have drivers for Windows PE. Honestly you really should never build a reference image on hardware, use a virtual machine. Windows 8 or Server 2012 R2 has Hyper-V, you just need to add it (Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off). Do your building and testing on virtual machines, you don't even need to inject any drivers.

Oh and you can get the digital version of that book from Amazon.

As for the drivers: http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/112/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management.aspx

There is no "create and capture" task like the sysprep and capture. In fact you just use the standard client task sequence, but by having set DoCapture=YES, it'll sysprep and capture at the end of the task sequence.

This is my task sequence to build a Windows 8.1 reference image. The only real magic is setting the suspend task. It's a command line: cscript.exe "%SCRIPTROOT%\LTISuspend.wsf"

• Edited by Dan_Vega Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by jgbka Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:06 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:49 PM
  • I would so pay you to come fix this, LOL. This is not my primary duty. I am jsut trying to help a group out versus them having to load 48 machines individually from scratch.

I am actually testing it on a virtual machine within vmware because I got tired of waiting on the physical to reach the PE boot, LOL. Would this test not work the same as a hyper v machine?

I am looking at your link now.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:56 PM
  • I believe VMware does need some drivers added, so Hyper-V is just easier. I added a little extra to my previous post
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:01 PM
  • I feel so dumb but like I said I am new to this but what I did makes perfect sense to me now that I think about it. So I added the necessary drivers to my DS and on my VM when it boots into PE I get the screen asking me if I want to configure a static IP but I do not get that option on my physical server. When I set the static IP, the process does in fat continue now. I have to leave but am perpelexed as to whym the physical is not giving me the bdd welcome screen.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:03 PM
  • Well it could have to do with your settings, PE uses what's in the bootstrap. "SkipBDDWelcome=YES" would make it skip the welcome screen. Also I'm not sure how your virtual adapter is setup on your VM or if your setup has different VLANs. If you have a DHCP server on your network you shouldn't need to specify an IP address.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:13 PM
  • I would understand it being something in the bootstrap if both of them were not displaying the page but they are booting using the same bootstrap, iso, and wim so I assume they should both either display the page because the skipbdd line is not in my bootstrap or custom settings or both fail. The virtual adapter is only on one vlan and there is no dhcp server in this workgroup config.

I am going to try again later tonight on the physical and if it fails again I am going to try to set the static IP in the custom settings for the mac to see if it will at least read that and continue the process just as a test.

Thanks again.

• Edited by jgbka Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:14 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:13 PM
  • I am good to go. Thank you for all your insight!
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:05 PM