TFS 2010 MP is not sending successful discovery information to SCOM console RRS feed

• Question

• TFS 2010 MP installed on a  brand new SCOM 2007 R2 CU5 installation. I have 1 RMS, 1 SQL Server (2008 SQL SP1 CU6), 2 MS (1 for nworks Collector). All servers are built on 2008 R2 Sp1. 
    I have followed the TFS MP guide and reinstalled. My TFS user is a TFS admin. To overcome the issue of having a non-standard base web service uri I have created a redirect in IIS 7 so that it goes to \tfs\web (this would be better if it was configurable in SCOM!). I have turned on "script trace enable" to monitor the discovery process and my TFS server is full of informational 4000 event ID's all showing success. It even says it is sending information to SCOM "TFSDiscoverySource.vbs : Adding Discovery Data to SCOM repository". However NONE of this information apart from the TFS AT computer are discovered within the SCOM Console. I have run out of ways to diagnose this now.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:51 AM

Answers

• well distributing the TFS Account to my RMS and MS servers is having an effect, I finally got an error on my RMS Server Event ID 1108 after 24-36 hours 

An Account specified in the Run As Profile "TFS2010UserProfile" cannot be resolved. Specifically, the account is used in the Secure Reference Override "SecureOverride8e5b8f56_29ad_ec78_0e1c_a60b0903af05". 

This condition may have occurred because the Account is not configured to be distributed to this computer. To resolve this problem, you need to open the Run As Profile specified below, locate the Account entry as specified by its SSID, and either choose to distribute the Account to this computer if appropriate, or change the setting in the Profile so that the target object does not use the specified Account

I distributed the TFS User profile to my RMS and MS server and suddenly it has discovered my TFS Warehouse and Project Collection. Will check in again in the morning!
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:05 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:26 AM

All replies

• well distributing the TFS Account to my RMS and MS servers is having an effect, I finally got an error on my RMS Server Event ID 1108 after 24-36 hours 

An Account specified in the Run As Profile "TFS2010UserProfile" cannot be resolved. Specifically, the account is used in the Secure Reference Override "SecureOverride8e5b8f56_29ad_ec78_0e1c_a60b0903af05". 

This condition may have occurred because the Account is not configured to be distributed to this computer. To resolve this problem, you need to open the Run As Profile specified below, locate the Account entry as specified by its SSID, and either choose to distribute the Account to this computer if appropriate, or change the setting in the Profile so that the target object does not use the specified Account

I distributed the TFS User profile to my RMS and MS server and suddenly it has discovered my TFS Warehouse and Project Collection. Will check in again in the morning!
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:05 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:26 AM
  • so even though my Tier Server is discovering the following with event id 4000

TFSDiscoverySource.vbs : Adding Build Server:servername

TFSDiscoverySource.vbs : Adding Build Agent:servername

TFSDiscoverySource.vbs : Adding Build Controller:servername

I still do not see and build servers, agents or controllers in the MP?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Beigewell

I am having exactly this issue as well. Have set discovery interval to a couple of minutes and can see 4000's with all the correct data being "added to SCOM repository" repeatedly.

Nothing appears in the console, ever. Looking at the database (without understanding the schema) I can see nothing which looks liks the data I expect either.

Little I can do to futher resolve.

Did you ever ger a response on this?

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:12 AM
  • Update. I had a build server which was not in the "run as account" distribution (NB: NOT the server reporting above;). Interestingly this seemed to trigger the success of the entire discovery process. Hope this helps someone.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Hi Peter

No I have reported this to the TFS Mp team but could be helpful if you can too? Maybe they just need to update the doco? I am now about to try your fix to see if it works for me

many thanks

Christian

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Hello Beigewell.

Did you resolve your problem? I have the same issue.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:45 AM
  • Hi Beigewell,

Did the issue resolve.

I am facing the similar problem . in my case i have configured  proper discovery a/c . but still no luck. i am unable to see the loggin on the Agent end for this Discovery.

Jason Aranha

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:06 AM
  • Hi Jason/Maxim,

This did get resolved in the end, I'm the tech that looks after the SCOM environment Christian built for us, it took a few months but microsoft did come through with a solution after Christian logged a support case with them, I got cc'ed on some of the mails so can provide a little insight, basically over the years of development our TFS Database had had build servers registered with IP addresses instead of FQDN's and also build servers had been decomissioned and deleted without being unregistered from TFS first, both of these issues prevented the build server/agent discovery from completing. Christian ended up also engaging the TFS Product Team to work through with us to purge out some of the trickier bad build server entries from the TFS database where we couldn't through GUI they provided a tool which allowed us to get the bad entries out correctly don't think the tool is publicly available so you  probably have to log a support case with MS to get. Below is the detail from our case summary.

Problem

============
    Unable to monitor TFS build servers in SCOM 2012

Analysis
    ============
    1.       Configure TFS runas account to distribute to all the TFS servers.
    2.       Remove TFS build servers which are registered as IP address
    3.       Remove wrong TFS build server entries in TFS DB. (needed support from TFS Team)

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:09 AM