Cannot search contacts in Outlook 2013 (Home & Student) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum,

After trying to find a resolution on "answers.microsoft.com" I was referred to this forum. I hope to find a solution.

Here is my description of the problem:

First I had trouble searching my mails.  This was resolved - after re-indexing the entire Outlook I can now search mails.
    But I can stil not search my contacts.
    In the "People" view, when I enter a search term it says "searching..." - and nothing is found.

Actually, in Mails and in Calendar, when I type a search term, it also stops without finding anything, but then I can click "find more on server" for the search to actually get anywhere, then it works.  But in "People" this line is not available to click, which may be why it stalls.

Oddly, in the toolbar, group named "Find" (In Mail, Calendar and People views), I can type a name in the box "search people" - and then it finds my contacts! But ONLY if I use first name (not family name, adress, company etc).

A few more details for background:
    I'm using Office Home & Student 2013 AND Office 365 Business Essentials.  Outlook is from the 2013 H&S package (version 15.0.4945.1001).
    Windows is fully updated.  Windows is version 1703 for x64 (KB4022405).

I have run a "Quick Repair". And "online repair" (which left me without any Office programmes, so I have also re-installed the entire Office package). I have removed my Outlook profile and then re-created it. Checked that it is running "cached mode". Did "repair" of data file (.ost).

I hope that there is a solution know to this forum.  Thank you.

Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Anders,

Thanks for visiting our forum with the detailed information.

Does this issue affect all contacts folders?
    Have you checked in OWA to see if contacts can be searched properly?

To help narrow down the issue, please try start Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type "outlook /safe", press Enter.) and see if there will be any improvement.

By the way, do you happen to have your contacts stored in iCloud?

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 18, 2017 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

Outlook has facility to search both Contacts and Address Book by default. you can control this option by going through Home Tab > Find > Address book > Tools > Options. We may set the search method here as you like.

Cheers,

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:06 AM