Can I convert Server 2008 R2 Standard to Web Edition? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed Server R2 Standard a while ago.  Now this server is only going to be used as a web server.  I have not activated the installation yet.  Is it possible to activate this installation with a Web Edition key or am I stuck with paying for a Standard license?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:12 PM

Answers

• Web edition is a more limited edition (less memory allowed, cannot be a DC, etc..) so I don't beleive you will be able to make any modification such as a license change or registry edits.

Why not simply contact your Software Service Provider, get a refund on the Standard License and request one for Web Edition, then re-install the proper OS version.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:31 PM
  • You are going to have to reinstall the OS as Web Edition.  There is no way to convert OS editions from one to another.
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:34 PM

All replies

• Web edition is a more limited edition (less memory allowed, cannot be a DC, etc..) so I don't beleive you will be able to make any modification such as a license change or registry edits.

Why not simply contact your Software Service Provider, get a refund on the Standard License and request one for Web Edition, then re-install the proper OS version.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Thanks for the reply...  I didn't actually purchase a Standard license yet.  As for memory... both Standard and Web accept up to 32 GB.  I wonder I can V2V into a Web edition...  hmmm.  

~Regards

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:26 PM
  • You are going to have to reinstall the OS as Web Edition.  There is no way to convert OS editions from one to another.
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:34 PM