Black Screen With Password Prompt RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I recently was a victim of a scammer who claimed to be from Microsoft. I allowed him remote access and long story short, he enabled a password some how in front of my eyes.   Now every time I restart the computer the screen turns grey/blackish with a small password prompt in the middle.  I was able to call the same number again, acted as if I was going to buy their computer support product and was able to get the password.  (MY QUESTION IS) how to disable this password prompt when I restart the computer?  Thank you!
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:53 AM

Answers

• Hello, I recently was a victim of a scammer who claimed to be from Microsoft. I allowed him remote access and long story short, he enabled a password some how in front of my eyes.   Now every time I restart the computer the screen turns grey/blackish with a small password prompt in the middle.  I was able to call the same number again, acted as if I was going to buy their computer support product and was able to get the password.  (MY QUESTION IS) how to disable this password prompt when I restart the computer?  Thank you!

This password is actually a windows feature, a simply trick Syskey the caller has added the encryption of the SAM hive in the registry. What passwords have you tried to get passed it? Often they will use the same password as the windows login password.

What you could try is to use a system restore point to restore the settings, but it is somewhat risky. I would only attempt this once his data has been backed up.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:10 AM

All replies

This password is actually a windows feature, a simply trick Syskey the caller has added the encryption of the SAM hive in the registry. What passwords have you tried to get passed it? Often they will use the same password as the windows login password.

What you could try is to use a system restore point to restore the settings, but it is somewhat risky. I would only attempt this once his data has been backed up.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:10 AM

Thank you for your advice, J.  How do I preform system restore after I back up the computer data?
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 6:38 PM