none
Set up IE as default browser - windows server 2008 **help needed**

Question

• I read a few posts that it's not possible to have IE as a default browser through group policy.is there any work around?

windows server 2008 R2

client OS: windows 7

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:53 PM

All replies

• I´ve done this myself: http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/507/Setting-Internet-Explorer-as-your-default-browser-in-Windows-10-during-OS-Deployment

There is also a GPO setting to force/control that xml, so you don´t have to use MDT or SCCM to push this. But the idea is the same; export setting with DISM and use it on client machines.
    • Proposed as answer by yannara Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:37 PM
    • Edited by yannara Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:39 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:37 PM
  • Hi,

When you select “Make this the default browser” in any browser, the browser will registers itself into some registry keys to make itself the default browser. Windows’ shell will launch a URL with an application associated with the URL’s protocol based on the value of those registry keys.

So we can use a GPO to update the value of those related registry keys for each protocol (ftp/http/https) to “Internet Explorer” in your environment. This way, Internet Explorer will be your default browser.

For more details, you can refer to this TechNet thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/08b9c3ee-d203-4fe2-b876-80886d33d66a/how-can-make-ie-as-default-browser-and-no-body-can-change-it-from-other-bowser?forum=winserverGP

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:09 AM
  • thats a windows 10 and for OS deployment which it doesnt apply to my situation here.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:48 PM
  • it doesn't work the link you gave me, i dont see  the entry labeled "Internet Explorer Maintenance" and select "Preference Mode." in my windows 2008 domain controller
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:00 PM
  • i dont see Windows Components\File Explorer\Set a default associations configuration file

in my group policy management editor

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:06 PM
  • it doesn't work the link you gave me, i dont see  the entry labeled "Internet Explorer Maintenance" and select "Preference Mode." in my windows 2008 domain controller

I mean you can make it by updating the value of those related registry keys for each protocol (ftp/http/https), not by using the "Internet Explorer Maintenance" setting which has already been deprecated.

For example, configure IE as the default program for .htm, you deploy below registry entry by using GPP:

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key path: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm\UserChoice
    Value name: Progid
    Value type: REG_SZ
    Value data: IE.AssocFile.HTM

Please refer to the reply from <Mr. Raj> in the thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/08b9c3ee-d203-4fe2-b876-80886d33d66a/how-can-make-ie-as-default-browser-and-no-body-can-change-it-from-other-bowser?forum=winserverGP

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 10, 2015 1:47 AM
  • i dont see Windows Components\File Explorer\Set a default associations configuration file

It's a new introduced Group Policy setting since Windows 8, that's why you don't see it on your Group Policy Editor from Windows Server 2008 R2.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:01 AM
  • I went to user configuration>preferences>registry and create new userchoice entries following the article you provided me

is this correct?

Hive 	HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key path 	Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm\UserChoice
    Value name 	Progid
    Value type 	REG_SZ
    Value data 	IE.AssocFile.HTM

Hive 	HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key path 	Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html\UserChoice
    Value name 	Progid
    Value type 	REG_SZ
    Value data 	IE.AssocFile.HTM

Hive 	HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key path 	Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\ftp\UserChoice
    Value name 	Progid
    Value type 	REG_SZ
    Value data 	IE.FTP

Hive 	HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key path 	Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\http\UserChoice
    Value name 	Progid
    Value type 	REG_SZ
    Value data 	IE.HTTP

Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key path Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\https\UserChoice
    Value name Progid
    Value type REG_SZ
    Value data IE.HTTPS 

Thursday, December 10, 2015 3:58 PM
  • so what do i do then?
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 3:59 PM
  • so what do i do then?

So you have already configured the GPP setting. Just go ahead and apply it to the user, log off and log in again and check result.

Good luck/

Friday, December 11, 2015 9:16 AM
  • I apply it to the user configuration>preferences>registry and it did not work. chrome still shows as default browser
    Friday, December 11, 2015 3:08 PM
  • Have you checked on the client machine, and the correct registry keys have updated?

Or run gpresult to verify it.

Monday, December 14, 2015 9:11 AM
  • Have you checked on the client machine, and the correct registry keys have updated?

Or run gpresult to verify it.

here is how I configure the GPO for IE under computer configuration

.html\UserChoice

it doesn't exist

could not locate the created registries in the client computer registry, there should be a new entry under .htm and .html with userchoice set to IE as default.

Monday, December 14, 2015 3:31 PM
  • any help will be appreciated
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:04 PM

It's a new introduced Group Policy setting since Windows 8, that's why you don't see it on your Group Policy Editor from Windows Server 2008 R2.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Just install one Win 8.1 or Win 10 computer to your domain, install rsop and configure that Group Policy.

I tried to do those GPP tricks myself, they will not lead to anything.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:32 PM

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Just install one Win 8.1 or Win 10 computer to your domain, install rsop and configure that Group Policy.

I tried to do those GPP tricks myself, they will not lead to anything.

so what is the solution to have IE as a default browser via group policy? if GPP is not working, any other toughs? all client machines are on windows 7
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:38 PM
  • It seems like my previous instructions applies only to Windows 8 and above.

I´m just wondering, what is it with your current config, isn´t Win7´s default browser always IE? Unless you start distributing Firefox or Chrome with additional configs. I think these solutions are only consering Windows 10 with Edge...

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:16 PM
  • It seems like my previous instructions applies only to Windows 8 and above.

I´m just wondering, what is it with your current config, isn´t Win7´s default browser always IE? Unless you start distributing Firefox or Chrome with additional configs. I think these solutions are only consering Windows 10 with Edge...

we have users that install chrome,firefox as their default browser and we want to push IE through group policy to be always the default

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:18 PM
  • we have users that install chrome,firefox as their default browser and we want to push IE through group policy to be always the default

This is quite simple - do not let users to install 3rd part browsers. If user wants to use Firefox or/and Chrome, he is on his own. This is just my opnion.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:59 PM
  • there should be a way to set IE as default via GPO. hopefully someone with more expertise can give us instructions on how to do it
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:56 PM
  • I am sure I used to make it work via the GPP approach on a win7 machine. Not sure why it doesn't work on your machine. Unfortunately, it seems there is no other way to do this, except using the one mentioned above by yannara.
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:43 AM
  • did u look at my screenshot and see the way i configure it. does it look right?
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 2:54 PM
  • .html\UserChoice

it doesn't exist

could not locate the created registries in the client computer registry, there should be a new entry under .htm and .html with userchoice set to IE as default.

The Group Policy Preference setting seems good in your screenshot. I just tested in my local lab, corresponding registry keys got created in the client computer for me.

Have you tried to run "Gpupdate /force" command after applying the setting?

You can also configure this via a script, see this thread for details:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/a5544ebe-01b1-40b9-ae95-3b91579b0e4f/default-browser

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, December 18, 2015 2:47 AM
  • .html\UserChoice

it doesn't exist

The Group Policy Preference setting seems good in your screenshot. I just tested in my local lab, corresponding registry keys got created in the client computer for me.

Have you tried to run "Gpupdate /force" command after applying the setting?

You can also configure this via a script, see this thread for details:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/a5544ebe-01b1-40b9-ae95-3b91579b0e4f/default-browser

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Yes I tried gpupdate/ force couple times and i did not see the new registry key pushes through group policy.
    Friday, December 18, 2015 4:10 PM