Host File on windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• How to modify windows 10 mobile host file ?
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 9:35 PM

All replies

• easiest way I have found is copy it to another folder, Documents or Desktop perhaps, edit it there and copy it back.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 10:13 PM
  • Why do you want to modify the host file?

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 11:17 PM
  • Host file, along with other windows system files are hidden from you on W10 mobile.
    To get to it, you need to get yourself full access - which is not as straightforward as on desktop.

Afaik the only way to get it, is the one described by snickler on the XDA forums here:
    forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10/windows-10-mobile/guide-filesystem-access-sftp-windows-10-t3185766

It's probably not something you would want to mess around with, unless your familiar with the tools required. Eg. Astoria Tools/WConnect, djamol's Root Tool, PuttyGen, Pagent, SFTP.

A regular end-user is likely to break something and perhaps brick the unit, so be warned.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Why do you want to modify the host file?

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

To get rid of all the advertising is the usual answer & why I am here researching WM10 Hosts file location.

If I wanted an advert on every page of every app I would have bought an Android Phone. One of the main reasons I stayed on WP8.1 until a couple of weeks ago was because I didn't get any advertising krap

Sunday, June 18, 2017 12:00 PM