new HYPERV VM from W2K8R2 ISO RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a VM using the ISO that includes the R2 update (~2.8GB) but when i start the VM, the screen shows the black background and windows flag (like a windows 7 startup screen) but no installation sequence.  Then the VM stops and restarts and this loop sequence continues indefinitely.  This is my first attempt to create a VM on a newly installed HyperV box. Anyone seen this?
    • Changed type Vincent Hu Monday, September 27, 2010 7:27 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 4:29 PM

Answers

• I have seen cases where the hash matches but there is some very minor corruption with the ISO.

I usually recommend that folks download a second time and that usually works.

Also, some folks burn the ISOs to CD and when doing this they are not finalized properly and therefore have problems during the installation sequence.

Another thing to consider - this is R2 media you are installing the VM with, is the Hyper-V revision R2 as well?

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by BrianEhMVP Monday, September 27, 2010 2:00 PM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 6:24 PM
  • ok..i burned the ISO to disk and it is working. Thats very odd so id like to figure out why it works as physical but not as an image.  Anyone had this situation before? ANy special settings i might be missing?
    • Proposed as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, September 27, 2010 7:28 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:17 PM

All replies

• I think there is a problem with your CD, Have you tried to change it ?
    Friday, September 24, 2010 5:00 PM
  • I downloaded it directly from TECHNET. (en_windows_server_2008_r2_standard_enterprise_datacenter_web_x64_dvd_x15-50365.iso)

I used FCIV to compare the SHA1 (A548D6743129F2A02C907D2758773A1F6BB1BCD7) and it matches. Very odd...

Friday, September 24, 2010 5:55 PM
  • I have seen cases where the hash matches but there is some very minor corruption with the ISO.

I usually recommend that folks download a second time and that usually works.

Also, some folks burn the ISOs to CD and when doing this they are not finalized properly and therefore have problems during the installation sequence.

Another thing to consider - this is R2 media you are installing the VM with, is the Hyper-V revision R2 as well?

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Friday, September 24, 2010 6:24 PM
  • I didnt actually burn the DVD i just mounted it directly from the ISO. Perhaps i SHOULD try to burn it and use a physical copy of it?  I will try that first and if it still doesnt work i will try another download.

Yes i am using the very latest HyperV Core Server build version 6.1 build 7600

Friday, September 24, 2010 6:58 PM
  • Hi,

It's not necessary to burn a cd, installing directly from iso should work fine. So I should go for what BrianEh said download the iso again.

Regards Ronny
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:03 PM
  • ok..i burned the ISO to disk and it is working. Thats very odd so id like to figure out why it works as physical but not as an image.  Anyone had this situation before? ANy special settings i might be missing?
    • Proposed as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, September 27, 2010 7:28 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:17 PM
  • This began with Server 2008.

Many of the ISOs produced for Server 2008 were not 'mastered' or closed.  Therefore they didn't like to boot from ISO properly all of the time.

I worked around the problem by burning the ISO to disk (making sure that I mastered the disk) and then creating a new ISO.  Mine always booted.

I never did figure out if it was some type of strange interaction wit hte hardware or if it truely was the ISO itself.

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Yea i will probably go ahead and create my own ISO from the disk and see how that works. Thanks for your time.

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:18 PM