none
looking for a faster (and hopefully easier) way to populate a secondary DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• DPMprimary (Michigan) and DPMsecondary (Texas) are identical Dell 2900 PowerEdge DPM 2010 R2 servers with eight available drive bays, connected via 6 Mb MPLS. The Michigan site is a two node cluster where all the data is (for now).

Each site has 4 Tb of RAID-5 dedicated DPM storage to protect 1.5 Tb of data. I currently have 2.2.Tb of both file-level and cluster-level back ups on DPMprimary; I backed up all VM's, and then selected agent-based file level backups a second time as needed.

I am testing replication to DPMsecondary. Every volume under 40 Gb replicated over the weekend, and all now have multiple recovery points. Every volume over 40 Gb  - the ones I really need off-site - are inconsistent, even after trying to force a consistency check. Are there any calculations here? Like, size of pipe x size of data x amount of time = no more than X volume size? How long to wait, if ever?

I was expecting to do a manual replication anyway, so here's the big question: What if I shipped the Texas storage pool to Michigan, added a second DPMprimary storage pool, got the data onto the Texas drives, shipped them back to Texas, and popped them directly back into the original drive bays? I'd have everything in Texas, but what machinations would I have to engage in? Would I still have to go through a tedious manual procedure? Or is there another better idea? Or maybe PowerShell to the rescue?

Another possibility: I am testing FireStreamer using a 3 Tb external USB disk, and could shuttle the drive back and forth. 

Any ideas, anyone?

Rob

...and about the new forums. Should I be posting this in another forum? DPM Disaster Protection, perhaps? And would I get simlar exposure?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi rob,

I'm just passed with the same issue, and i suggest on you to do the following:

- Prepare the Secondary DPM server on the same site as the primary one on the same LAN then run the protection group from it to get the data from the primary one to be located on the secondary server but i think if you only moved the storage it will not work as the secondary DPM will attempt to formate the storage whenever you install it into the server again so the only applicable solution is what i told you after that you can move the entire server to the new site and run consistence check on it. but kindly take care If you have firewalls in between site1 and site2 then you'll need to make sure the appropriate rules are allowed for DPM communication. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808766.aspx

Also make sure that DNS updates if you change the IP address of the DPM server.

Best Regards

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Melgendi,

Thank you for the excellent suggestion! I think it is the simplest and best solution I have read so far.

It is unfortunately an impractical solution for me, for the DPM server at the Houston location is supporting the entire office there, and cannot be spared.

...but the more I think about it, the more I like it. I may explore temporarily reconfiguring the site to send all traffic to the other site.

Well...anybody else with a suggestion?

Rob

Friday, December 10, 2010 4:37 AM
  • Well, here's my suggestion: I'm looking at a totally different pre-load concept here.

current options for member DR (that I know of):

automatic local network DR replication
    - replicate member automatically on primary
    - ship secondary server to primary site
    - replicate member automatically from secondary
    - synchronize member across local network
    - ship secondary server back to secondary site
    - synchronize member across data link

automatic remote site DR replication
    - replicate member automatically from secondary

manual remote site DR copy and replication
    - replicate member manually from secondary
    - copy data to external drive from primary
    - ship external drive to secondary
    - copy data from external drive into secondary member

Why can't we do this?

manual remote site direct pre-load and DR replication
    - add second disk to primary storage pool
    - get the data on the second disk in a way that the secondary could use
    - ship second disk and add to storage pool on secondary server
    - create already backed up members by pointing to the existing member data volume location

SO, in the last scenario: instead of manually creating an empty member and manually copying the data to that member volume, is it possible to create a completed secondary member volume where you associate the existing pool data volume to the member? Or create the member, and change the volume? Or move the volume? Or copy the volume? I have to believe PowerShell has the ability if the cmdlets are there.

Rob

• Proposed as answer by Melgendi Saturday, December 11, 2010 8:41 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Hope that every thing going fine with you, for your last suggestion its not possible to do that as When you add a disk to the storage pool, DPM reformats the disk, which erases any data that the disk contains. so you can't perform this as a way to establish the DR DPM server.

all the way its a nice list you mention above, plz refer to this for more info

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808696.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161549.aspx

if i can help you in any thing else please let me know

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Melgendi Saturday, December 11, 2010 8:48 AM
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Working on this all day, and still don't have any resolution. Steps so far on the primary to ship a manual replica to import into the secondary:

grab volume name from DPM Protection | select member | Replica path | click to view details | right-click | copy
    D:\ on vm.domain.local C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_5be4786a-2e47-478c-9950-01873ac556c7\8a46f52b-1c86-4e1e-a0bb-dca60b9c8a45\Full\
    truncate to after 'volumes' to first slash : \Replica\File System\vol_5be4786a-2e47-478c-9950-01873ac556c7\
    mountvol > mountvol.out
    notepad mountvol.out
    search for "\Replica\File System\vol_5be4786a-2e47-478c-9950-01873ac556c7\" in mountvol.out, find volume name directly above it
    mountvol x:\ \\?\Volume{c39d921f-fc09-11df-b8b8-001e4f36cec7}\
    I see x: as DPM-vol_5be4786a-2e47-478c-  in Windows Explorer

NOW: How do I get the data on the external drive? And how do I retain the format so it can be imported into the secondary? What should the directory structure look like on the external USB disk?

All the documents say, 'copy x: to the external drive', but no one says how. Windows backup? xcopy / copy? Smoke and mirrors?

PLUS: I am working on ONE manual replica. I have 25 client members and 14 VM members - do I have to to this 40 more times?

Surely somebody has already done this, and has a PowerShell script all tidied up and ready to go!

Rob

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:03 AM