update: 2008 to 2008 R2 RC and later to 2008 R2 final RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

Can I update my Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 RC? And when the final is out update the Server  2008 Rc to final (like Windows 7)?

I use now the Server 2008 als a powerful workstation with the Hyper-V and Web Roll.

Gretings Stefan

Viele Grüße Stefan
    • Moved by Mathias Schiffer Monday, May 4, 2009 7:20 PM English Language Post (From:Windows Server)
    Monday, May 4, 2009 3:01 PM

Answers

• Yes and no:

You can upgrade Windows Server 2003 x64 and Windows Server 2008 x64 to Windows Server 2008 R2 - this is supported.

However, Win2008R2 Beta and Win2008R2 Release Candidate are not supported upgrade paths - i.e. you cannot upgrade Beta to RC in a supported fashion or RC to RTM in a supported fashion. Beta's/RC's are simply too unstable to be considered a good upgrade path to RTM.

Ned Pyle [MSFT] - MS Enterprise Platforms Support - Beta Team
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:10 AM

All replies

• Yes and no:

You can upgrade Windows Server 2003 x64 and Windows Server 2008 x64 to Windows Server 2008 R2 - this is supported.

However, Win2008R2 Beta and Win2008R2 Release Candidate are not supported upgrade paths - i.e. you cannot upgrade Beta to RC in a supported fashion or RC to RTM in a supported fashion. Beta's/RC's are simply too unstable to be considered a good upgrade path to RTM.

Ned Pyle [MSFT] - MS Enterprise Platforms Support - Beta Team
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:10 AM

• Bad news :-(

Isn't there some possible workaround?
    Otherwise we have definitely to wait for the final release in october comes out for start a project!
    So big can the last step RC to final release not be anymore.

Regards
    Marco
    Friday, June 12, 2009 7:17 AM

Otherwise we have definitely to wait for the final release in october comes out for start a project!

Regards
    Marco

Sunday, June 14, 2009 8:06 PM

Regards
    Marco

I think the point is not to put production on beta software... You can do it in test but your asking for too much risk by putting production on beta software.

If your project needs a feature that's in RC and not RTM then you either wait or you wait. :)  you can test but that's it.  You don't risk your job or your comps data just cus your in a hurry.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 8:07 PM
  • No SP0?

Another couple of person-weeks down the tubes.

But thanks for a definitive answer.

Monday, June 15, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Well, at-least according to the official upgrade path, it is supported to upgrade from 2008R2RC to 2008RTM. See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979563(WS.10).aspx. I'm not sure I'd recommend this move.
    • Proposed as answer by leder Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:29 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:28 AM