none
Setting mailto: link in Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7, and I use both Windows Live Mail and Google Mail.  I want to make Google Mail the default - ie when I click on mailto: links I want it to open a Google Mail window, not Windows Live Mail as is currently happening.  I have tried all the following and nothing seems to work.

I have installed Gmail Notifier and checked the "Use Gmail for internet mailto: links".  The program is working in that it does notify me when I receive Google Mail messages, but that is not what I wanted it for.

In Windows, I have been into Default Programs/Set your default programs.  None of the programs listed allow me to specifically set Google Mail for the mailto: protocol.  If I look at the settings for Windows Live Mail I find that it is set to handle the mailto protocol, but the checkbox (and indeed all on that page) is greyed out, even though I am logged as administrator.

In Default Programs/Associate a file type or protocol with a program, the only programs listed for mailto are Outlook and Windows Live Mail.

In Default Programs/Set program access and computer defaults, under Custom/Choose a default email program, "Use my current email program" is selected.  Again the only other options are Outlook and Windows Live Mail.

Any ideas what I am missing???

Monday, March 25, 2013 11:01 AM

Answers