none
My IE8 and firefox is not working, but google chrome is working. How to reset the settings ?? RRS feed

• Question

• My IE is not working. When i clicked the "Diagnose connection problems" , sometimes it tells that "windows cannot automatically detect proxy settings" and sometimes it tells that the troubleshooter cannot identify any problems. 

When i installed the Firefox browser, it also couldn't connect to the internet. And because of this I cannot install gtalk or yahoo messenger online. It shows that there is no internet connectivity. But i can access internet through google chrome. 

this is the ip configuration of my pc : -

Ethernet adapter local area connection 

connection specific DNS suffix . :

Link-local IPV6 address. . . . . . : fe80::c930:cf42:dcec:bfee%11

IPV4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . .  : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.{7CDCBB5E-EEA2-4407-8A2D-D2268339C299}:

Media State : Media disconnected
    Connection- specific DNS Suffix : 

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-interface:

Connection- specific DNS Suffix : 
    IPV6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . . :  2001:0:4137:9e76:24b7:3333:8a2a:d554
    Link0local IPV6 Address. . . . . . : fe80::24b7:3333:8a2a:d554%12
    Default Gateway :

Please tell me how to access IE .. The operating system is windows7 32-bit

Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:48 PM

Answers

• IPV4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

This suggests you are connected to a router.   So, do your diagnostics there.   E.g. find out the real DNS addresses that it is using and then test a lookup that you need done using an explicit  nslookup  with one of those addresses.

Interesting that Google Chrome isn't having a problem.   Is it using its own DNS, e.g. ignoring the one that your router would be using?   To check on this you could use a packet sniffer such as NetMon or WireShark.

So, when you do that the dnscache may be populated sufficiently for IE to take advantage of it and thus bypass the problem DNS servers.   Use  ipconfig  /displaydns   (in a cmd window) to check   Actually if your console buffer size isn't big enough or if you just want to be able to do more convenient Finds in it than the cmd window provides try using this command pipeline:

ipconfig  /displaydns  |  clip  |  notepad.exe

Unfortunately Notepad is not pipe aware but once the Notepad window opens you can then just use Ctrl-v to do a manual Paste.    Unfortunately also this is synchronous so you will have to close the Notepad window to get back to the cmd window's command line.   If you want to keep the output just open another independent Notepad window and do another Paste.

Note that in order for IE to take advantage of the dnscache a lookup found there must be complete.   So, for example, any chained host names must have cached entries and in particular the last chained host name must have A records present to supply the IP address.   Normally if those are not present what you would do is   ping -n 1  -w 1  the missing  CNAME  host but if you have a suspect DNS I'm not sure what you would see.

Another possibility which would work for some hosts is using the  DisplayDNS  output to find the IP address that Google Chrome finds and then just get IE to use that instead of the host name.

For more information about dealing with such scenarios see this marathon thread, in particular the workaround suggested by poster wbundrick

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT160N-V3-has-serioius-DNS-issues/m-p/295284?view=by_date_ascending

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:51 PM

All replies

• IPV4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

This suggests you are connected to a router.   So, do your diagnostics there.   E.g. find out the real DNS addresses that it is using and then test a lookup that you need done using an explicit  nslookup  with one of those addresses.

Interesting that Google Chrome isn't having a problem.   Is it using its own DNS, e.g. ignoring the one that your router would be using?   To check on this you could use a packet sniffer such as NetMon or WireShark.

So, when you do that the dnscache may be populated sufficiently for IE to take advantage of it and thus bypass the problem DNS servers.   Use  ipconfig  /displaydns   (in a cmd window) to check   Actually if your console buffer size isn't big enough or if you just want to be able to do more convenient Finds in it than the cmd window provides try using this command pipeline:

ipconfig  /displaydns  |  clip  |  notepad.exe

Unfortunately Notepad is not pipe aware but once the Notepad window opens you can then just use Ctrl-v to do a manual Paste.    Unfortunately also this is synchronous so you will have to close the Notepad window to get back to the cmd window's command line.   If you want to keep the output just open another independent Notepad window and do another Paste.

Note that in order for IE to take advantage of the dnscache a lookup found there must be complete.   So, for example, any chained host names must have cached entries and in particular the last chained host name must have A records present to supply the IP address.   Normally if those are not present what you would do is   ping -n 1  -w 1  the missing  CNAME  host but if you have a suspect DNS I'm not sure what you would see.

Another possibility which would work for some hosts is using the  DisplayDNS  output to find the IP address that Google Chrome finds and then just get IE to use that instead of the host name.

For more information about dealing with such scenarios see this marathon thread, in particular the workaround suggested by poster wbundrick

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT160N-V3-has-serioius-DNS-issues/m-p/295284?view=by_date_ascending

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:51 PM

Kavitha Seetharaman

Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:37 AM