Hard Drive Doubled In Size RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 500 GB hard drive and it's been running less than 1/2 full forever. And then all of a sudden there is only 22 GB free. And now it has 50.7 GB free. I have not installed or deleted anything that would explain these changes. I've ran all the tools defrag, clean disk, temp files, virus scans etc. When I run the drive space manager to see what is on the hard drive there is a large gray area that says unscanned. I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:45 AM

Answers

• It is very hard to guess what happened in your computer without analysing content. Most probably you have not enabled viewing hidden files. Set viewing hidden files and make analysis of increase of files that were created/added recently as well as their sizes. Sometimes there are shadow copies or cached content.

Use disk cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-7

Perhaps better forum for this is answers.microsoft.com

HTH

Milos

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Friday, February 27, 2015 9:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, March 2, 2015 9:10 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:55 AM
  • Try to open Hidden Files and let me know what all you can see.

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

Also make sure that you un check the 3 highlighted options.

You will mainly get Recycle Bin folder and System Volume Information folder in which the data will be present Else there will be Page File or Space reserved for System Restore.

• Proposed as answer by Shashank Dhoot Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:24 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 1:15 AM
  • Hi SHer,

I agree with  Shashank Dhoot, there is a much possibility that this issue is related to the System Restore.

Considering you have tried to cleanup disk ,have you tried to cleanup the System Restore and Shadow Copies ?
    Please note that we will lose the restore point if we cleanup the System Restore and Shadow Copies .
    If it is possible, we can try to clean up the "System Restore and Shadow Copies "and then chekc the size of the unscanned parts.

We also can check how many spaces we have set for System Restore.
    Start \Right click "computer "\Properties \System Protection\Configure

Best regards

Friday, February 20, 2015 8:32 AM

All replies

• It is very hard to guess what happened in your computer without analysing content. Most probably you have not enabled viewing hidden files. Set viewing hidden files and make analysis of increase of files that were created/added recently as well as their sizes. Sometimes there are shadow copies or cached content.

Use disk cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-7

Perhaps better forum for this is answers.microsoft.com

HTH

Milos

Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:55 AM
  • Try to open Hidden Files and let me know what all you can see.

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

Also make sure that you un check the 3 highlighted options.

You will mainly get Recycle Bin folder and System Volume Information folder in which the data will be present Else there will be Page File or Space reserved for System Restore.

• Proposed as answer by Shashank Dhoot Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:24 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 1:15 AM
  • Hi SHer,

I agree with  Shashank Dhoot, there is a much possibility that this issue is related to the System Restore.

Considering you have tried to cleanup disk ,have you tried to cleanup the System Restore and Shadow Copies ?
    Please note that we will lose the restore point if we cleanup the System Restore and Shadow Copies .
    If it is possible, we can try to clean up the "System Restore and Shadow Copies "and then chekc the size of the unscanned parts.

We also can check how many spaces we have set for System Restore.
    Start \Right click "computer "\Properties \System Protection\Configure

Best regards

Friday, February 20, 2015 8:32 AM