none
Articles Getting too Personal! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Much has been talked on the subject of the difference between community's article and personal blog. There is even a blog discussing this issue. Yet people continue to write articles with a personal tone, like it is a personal blog:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/archive/2014/05/14/wiki-life-getting-too-personal.aspx

Sorry, I do not feel OK with editing personal posts! How can we add something if the article is a personal post and someone is signed on it?!? How can I add sentence or paragraph or a code when he signs his name on the advertising and all post is about his personal story?!? If all the article is "I did", "I think" and then I will add what I think then it will look like it what he wrote and what he think, etc!

Ed,
    I recommend putting the emphasis on this issue.

I dont want to be the "bad guy" and comment people but someone need to do it. I avoided editing several articles that I felt that I can improve, just for this reason.

[Personal Site] [Blog] [Facebook]signature

Sunday, May 25, 2014 10:52 PM

All replies

• I started to edit the folowup article. after a while, I decided that I am changing too much, regarding this issue. Therefore I decided to wait for the consent of the original author, and stop editing:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/24512.calling-wcf-service-from-a-stored-procedure-in-microsoft-sql-server-2012.aspx

* I started with removing several personal characteristic to adapt the article as collaborative community's article (and stop editing once I found that there are much more and I didn't want to do it without consent of the original Author ).
    * I added toc
    * I added a few titles
    * I added links in the content, and a "resources and more information" section.
    * I formated the article's HTML, replacing divs <div> with paragraphs <p>
    * I added several small points in the content (for exampl "2012" -> "2012 and 2014")

* I fixed typo mistak ("with with" -> "with")

At this point I saw that there are many more personal characteristics, like using "I", "my", etc. and I decided to stop for now, Waiting to the original Author's decision. For example the beginning of the article:

Original post:

One my friends wanted to call a WCF Service from a Stored Procedure in Microsoft SQL Server 2012. So this is how you can do it.
    Before starting off with coding, there are some things that we all need to know and understand well.
    When wring functionalities such as Stored Procedures, Triggers etc. for a database which sits inside Microsoft SQL Server, there are two things we can use.
    • T-SQL
    • SQL CLR (SQL Common Language Runtime)
    You can either write your operation using T-SQL or you can use SQL CLR. Since you all are familiar with T-SQL, let’s see what SQL CLR is.

SQL CLR is use of the Microsoft .NET Common Language Runtime within SQL Server. SQL CLR is very useful when you want to accomplish a task which is not possible with T-SQL. The best example for such task would be the task that I am going to do right now.

You can’t use only T-SQL to consume a WCF Service. But SQL CLR gives the ability to call and consume a WCF Service. So what we can do is write a Stored Procedure with the use of SQL CLR which will call and consume from the WCF Service. Then we can write a T-SQL Stored Procedure to call the SQL CLR Stored Procedure.

Different SQL Server versions uses different CLR versions. SQL Server 2012 uses version 4.0 of the CLR although previous versions of SQL Server (from SQL Server 2005) uses version 2.0 of the CLR.

Keeping that in mind let’s jump into the action.
    In my development environment, I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and Microsoft SQL Server 2012 installed.

After my changes

[toc]

Our case study

We need to call WCF Service from a Stored Procedure in Microsoft SQL Server 2012. So this is how you can do it.

introduction

Before starting off with coding, there are some things that we all need to know and understand well.

When wring functionalities such as Stored Procedures, Triggers etc. for a database which sits inside Microsoft SQL Server, there are two things we can use.

• T-SQL
    • SQL CLR (SQL Common Language Runtime)

You can either write your operation using T-SQL or you can use SQL CLR. Since you all are familiar with T-SQL, let’s see what SQL CLR is.

SQL CLR is use of the Microsoft .NET Common Language Runtime within SQL Server. SQL CLR is very useful when you want to accomplish a task which is not possible with T-SQL. The best example for such task would be the task that I am going to do right now.

You can’t use only T-SQL to consume a WCF Service. But SQL CLR gives the ability to call and consume a WCF Service. So what we can do is write a Stored Procedure with the use of SQL CLR which will call and consume from the WCF Service. Then we can write a T-SQL Stored Procedure to call the SQL CLR Stored Procedure.

Different SQL Server versions uses different CLR versions. SQL Server 2012 and 2014 uses version 4.0 of the CLR although previous versions of SQL Server (from SQL Server 2005) uses version 2.0 of the CLR.

Keeping that in mind let’s jump into the action.

Our Solution

This example written in development environment, using Visual Studio 2013 , and Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Friday, May 30, 2014 5:57 PM
  • It reminds me of the phrase about team player: There is no "I" in a team

www.knowyourphrase.com
    The meaning of the phrase There's No I in Team, with the potential origins of this saying included...

Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:59 AM
  • Hello Ariel,

there are quite some important guidelines that support this item and your feelings about it.

Together with the TechNet Wiki council we're working very hard on this as this is a very important item.

You can always refer the writers / orginal authors to these guidelines:

- http://aka.ms/notfortnwiki

- http://aka.ms/WikiRoles

- http://aka.ms/wikiuserguide

As a Wiki Community and speaking for the TN Wiki council, we still encourage to guide the original authors to these guidelines and actively update the Wiki articles to comply to the guidelines.

If you feel bad about it, don't hesitate to send an email to tnwiki at msft dot com (or you can mail Ed Price or me, you know (to find) the address...).

Always glad to help,
    Peter

Peter Geelen (Microsoft Belgium) - Premier Field Engineer Security & Identity

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post.
    By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Sunday, September 7, 2014 7:47 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Peter

I was familiar with the first article, which I thought that it do not emphasize this issue enough. But the second and third article you mentioned is doing it great. I likeed the third link a lot http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1775.wiki-user-experience-guidelines.aspx#Signatures_Credit_and_Personalization. Thanks!

>> It is not enough to set rules, but there is also a need to enforce them. I think the results show that there is still  lot of place for improvement in this area.

I see lot of articles which published each month, and are not compatible with the rules especially the "Signatures, Credit, and Personalization" issue. Each month, dozens of articles are published with this personal approach. Most times those very short articles with 5-15 sentences, when two sentences are Signatures, Credit, or greetings. The statistics which published every week, do not show it unfortunately. It is only count numbers and do not filtering the quality. writing good article can take several hours at least! I see people that published 15 articles like this in one month, while others publish single article, but with substance contents, after a little research online on the topic (bring links), with examples and images, with codes and explanations, and more. The statistics which published every week, do not show it as well,unfortunately.

If you feel bad about it, don't hesitate to send an email to tnwiki at msft dot com (or you can mail Ed Price or me, you know (to find) the address...).

this has nothing to do with feeling :-) I am just trying to improve the TechNet WIKI.

By the way, do you not do the connection?!? Check my name on the signature (not the nickname). We spoke several times in skype, and we are on the same chat with Ed and all others TechNet facebook leaders. If I need to contact you or Ed personally, I will know how to do it probably :-)

This post is here not just for Ed, but for everyone to see, and response. I already link to this thread several times, and now with your response people can see other links on the same issue :-)

Thanks for the response Peter:-)

Monday, September 8, 2014 10:16 AM
  • I must point out that the article I mentioned here, is not such article with no content like I mentioned. The very fact that I wanted to edit it and improve it, indicates that I thought it is very good article. I do not usually spend time to improve "articles" (i do think that 3 sentences is an article for example), that I feel that need to be written from scratch.

Monday, September 8, 2014 10:28 AM