none
Task and Project Duration different after migration from Project Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm migrating from Project Server 2003 to Project Server 2010 using the VME environment.

After migrating to Project Server 2007 in the VME, I ran the post-migration data validation scripts (number 7). Actual Work, Work and Cost are all OK. But for a lot of projects, Duration (and Actual and Remaining Duration) are different in 2007 from 2003. Start and Finish dates of the projects and tasks are the same however. The calendar in use seems to be migrated correctly also.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Is duration calculated differently in 2007 compared to 2003? Can someone explain this to me? Is this something I should worry about?

I know that Project Server 2007 RTM version had a problem where duration was calculated differently from 2003, but this has been fixed in SP1 if I'm not mistaken. As the VME is running SP2 + Oct 2009 CU, I'm surprised the duration are so different.

Thanks!
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:39 PM

Answers

• For some projects, the duration is off by quite some days.

After migration to 2007 in the VME, I opened and saved all projects (to reset the currency to EUR). I ran the validation script. Seems this even makes it worse. More projects seem to suffer from the problem.

Although for most projects, the start and finish dates are the same, for some tasks, they differ. I've taken a look into detail for some of the projects, and it seems to have multiple causes...

• For some projects, this is caused by splits in the task not being migrated correctly
    • For others, some tasks had a leveling delay (in edays) which seemed to be causing the problem (for example, for one task, a leveling delay of 1 eday in 2003, caused a task to jump from Friday to Monday, while in 2007 it placed the task on Saturday)

But I have no idea as to what the real cause is... these are only observations.

Sriram, Next time I have access to the migration environment, I will try your suggestion.

Regards,
    Hans

Friday, October 29, 2010 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Hans,

I'm surprised too - I can't understand if the start and finish dates are the same, then how are the durations different.  I would check both the start and finish time times of the tasks.   Are the durations out by much?

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Its weird.

Extract some of the project plans as MPP files from Project Server 2003 server.

Import those MPP files into your Project server 2007 server on new name, then compare the values between 2003 & 2007.

Then compare the values between migrated 2007 plan and manually imported plan.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:44 AM
  • For some projects, the duration is off by quite some days.

After migration to 2007 in the VME, I opened and saved all projects (to reset the currency to EUR). I ran the validation script. Seems this even makes it worse. More projects seem to suffer from the problem.

Although for most projects, the start and finish dates are the same, for some tasks, they differ. I've taken a look into detail for some of the projects, and it seems to have multiple causes...

• For some projects, this is caused by splits in the task not being migrated correctly
    • For others, some tasks had a leveling delay (in edays) which seemed to be causing the problem (for example, for one task, a leveling delay of 1 eday in 2003, caused a task to jump from Friday to Monday, while in 2007 it placed the task on Saturday)

But I have no idea as to what the real cause is... these are only observations.

Sriram, Next time I have access to the migration environment, I will try your suggestion.

Regards,
    Hans

Friday, October 29, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Hi there, did you ever find a reason for the different calculations between 2003 and 2007?
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:07 AM
  • Hi Did any one got the solution for the same , we are also facing the same issue.
    Avinash kumar
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Hi Hans,

even if your posts is quite old, there are still people out there with Project 2003. As I am facing similar issues I was wondering, whether you have found a solution to this?

Cheers,

R.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Hi Avinash,

hope you get this as I found no other way to contact you: Have you ever found a solution to these issues?

Cheers,

R.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:35 PM