Outlook Timezone changes local clock as well RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Technet,

Currently running a citrix environment where multiple users are logged into a virtual windows server at the same time.  With that we have changing the time zone on the local machine locked down via gpo - security policy so they don't interfere with eachother. However we've come to find that users can still change the local machine's clock/timezone when they change their default timezone in outlook under File->Options->Calendar->scroll down to Timezone.  Is there a way to allow them to change their default timezone in outlook without it changing the local server clock? 

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. 

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I found this article for your reference: Outlook'sAppointments and Time Zones

>>Outlook gets the time zone from Windows and uses the Windows zone as its default time zone

From the description, we may not use different time zones for Outlook and Windows.

Considering your concern, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ 

It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Outlook. Microsoft loves hearing all customers’ voice.

In my opinion, if users want to create a meeting using different time zone, they can change the time information in a single meeting instead of changing the default time zone settings.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by LearninMan Friday, June 14, 2019 3:15 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2019 7:20 AM

All replies

• As far as I know, Outlook uses UTC time for appointments and adjusts the time using the time zone offset configured on the computer.

Personally, I’d like to recommend you add additional time zones to Outlook instead of changing the original one.

To do this, please refer to following steps:

1. Go to File-> Options-> section Calendar.
    2. Under Time zones, select the Show a second time zone check box
    3. In the Label box for each time zone, type a name for the additional time zone.
    4. In the Time zone list, click the time zone that you want to add.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:39 AM
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:38 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thank you for your response, I understand your sentiment with the additional timezone but unfortunately that won't help in this scenario. I'm just looking to keep outlook from affecting the local server's clock.  If it comes down to it I know we can force certain user's in an area to hit a server set to their time zone however that becomes a larger management issue that we don't currently want to undertake. 

Thank you again for responding however.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

I found this article for your reference: Outlook'sAppointments and Time Zones

>>Outlook gets the time zone from Windows and uses the Windows zone as its default time zone

From the description, we may not use different time zones for Outlook and Windows.

Considering your concern, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ 

It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Outlook. Microsoft loves hearing all customers’ voice.

In my opinion, if users want to create a meeting using different time zone, they can change the time information in a single meeting instead of changing the default time zone settings.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

• Marked as answer by LearninMan Friday, June 14, 2019 3:15 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Hey perry,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and answer my question!  This links were helpful, as well as your response.  I'll see if I can at least put in some feedback as you suggested. :)   Just out of curiousity, i'm now looking at disabling access for our users to change the default time zone in outlook.  Would you happen to know the Policy ID for that setting in outlook? I've downloaded the office UI help files for our version of office and am currently having some trouble finding it in the list still.  Just a long shot question in case you know it or know someone who knows it.  

Thanks again for your help!

Friday, June 14, 2019 3:15 PM
  • You are welcome 😊

I searched a lot. There seems to be no such a registry key or GPO policy to force the default time zone on Outlook client. I think you can also contact Windows side to see if they have any ways to set a non-changeable time zone on local server clock.(this should also work for you)

Besides, you may remind all users to change the time information in a single meeting instead of changing the default time zone settings.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Saturday, June 15, 2019 8:54 AM
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 8:54 AM