Exchange 2007 SP3. Deleted mailbox still appears in Get-MailboxStatistics RRS feed

• Question

• Several weeks after deleting a user and her mailbox, her box still appears when I check sizes with Get-MailboxStatistics. (I notice this with several boxes I have deleted.)

It does not show up in the GUI. Just in the powershell command.

What is going on and what is the safest way to delete her box?

Thanks,

• Edited by Purtech Monday, September 23, 2013 5:48 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 5:44 PM

Answers

• What you see is normal. A disabled mailbox remains in the database fro 30 days before its expunged. If you don't want them hanging around that long you can change the retention interval, but it's probably a better idea to modify your script to exclude mailboxes from your repot if the DisconnectedDate property is not $null.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:56 AM
  • Hello,

I agree with Rich's suggestion. After you delete mailbox, the mailbox will not be purged immediately. The mailbox is retained in the mailbox database for a specified amount of time.

If you want to purge the mailbox immediately, please refer to the blog to do it.

https://msmvps.com/blogs/andersonpatricio/archive/2007/10/08/removing-disconnected-mailboxes-in-exchange-server-2007.aspx<o:p></o:p>

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:08 AM

All replies

• What you see is normal. A disabled mailbox remains in the database fro 30 days before its expunged. If you don't want them hanging around that long you can change the retention interval, but it's probably a better idea to modify your script to exclude mailboxes from your repot if the DisconnectedDate property is not $null.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:56 AM
  • Hello,

I agree with Rich's suggestion. After you delete mailbox, the mailbox will not be purged immediately. The mailbox is retained in the mailbox database for a specified amount of time.

If you want to purge the mailbox immediately, please refer to the blog to do it.

https://msmvps.com/blogs/andersonpatricio/archive/2007/10/08/removing-disconnected-mailboxes-in-exchange-server-2007.aspx<o:p></o:p>

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:08 AM