none
Status Manager is not published for self-assigned tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A number of project plans contain many tasks for which the statusmanager is set to someone else than the projectowner him/herself. Task updates are thus to be approved/rejected by the person indicated by the status manager field instead of the project owner. This seems to work perfectly well as long as the task/assignment has been created (and then published) from within the project plan itself.

However, team members on a project are allowed to assign themselves to tasks in the project. The new task assignment then gets sent to the projectowner! Ok, let's say that we can live with that even though we would expect that this would get sent to the status manager (not the project owner).

But it gets annoying when subsequent task updates also get sent to the project owner. It looks as though Project Server is neglecting the status manager for assignments for which the team member has assigned himself to the task.

When we log on as the team member and navigate to the task assignment details page from the timesheet we see that the approval manager does NOT show the status manager that is recorded in the project plan. Instead it shows the project owner, which is not correct since the status manager in the project plan is set to someone else. (BTW: we republished the project plan and the difference between status manager and approval manger stays).

We are currently in the process of going through some final tests with a workaround (change status manager tob someone else > publish project > switch back to original status manager > publish again). In meanttime I would like to know if this is a known defect (if so, has it been patched? Or is the patch scheduled for release?). Or am I missing something here?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Kurt

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:10 PM

All replies

• Kurt --

What you are describing is how Project Server has worked for a long time.  The assumption of the software, whether for the better or for the worse, is that new tasks proposed by team members in PWA should be approved by the project Owner.  This means that the software disregards who is designated as the Status Manager on all tasks in the project.  I believe the only way for your to rectify your current situation is to make the current Status Manager for all tasks to also be the Owner of the project.  Or, after the Owner approves the new task request, the Status Manager should open the project, make him/herself the Status Manager for the new task, and then republish the project.

So, what you are seeing is NOT a bug, so do not expect Microsoft to fix something that is not broken!  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Hi dal,

Thanks for your (prompt!) reply :-).

I understand that Project Server will enforce that the project owner approves new assignments. Like I said: we're OK with that.

Let me try to be more clear about the 'problem' we're seeing.

Suppose that person 'PM' is the owner of project 'P'. Project 'P' contains a task 'T' which says that 'SM' is the status manager for that task. P is published.

Now person 'TM' goes out to his timesheet and assigns himself to the task 'T', then submits. Next, PM approves.

One week later and 'TM' submits a new task update on task T.

This time we would expect the task update to be sent to 'SM', but this does not happen! Instead the task update is still forwarded to 'PM'. Moreover, on the task details page we see that the approval manager is 'PM', while this should be 'SM' (as recorded in the plan).

Tell me Dale, am I still missing the point? Or did I do a better job this time at bringing my point accross? :-)

(and really sorry for blaming Microsoft :-)) )

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Kurt --

Well, I am an idiot.  If I had read the title of your original message, I would have seen that the team member is assigning himself to an EXISTING task, not creating a new task.  I humbly apologize for giving you the wrong answer.  My assumption would be that the Status Manager of the existing task is the one who should receive ALL task updates for that task, including when a team member assigns himself to the task.  So, at that first point, I am wondering if we ARE seeing a bug.  So, yes, you are correct that what you are seeing is not how the software should work, which leaves us wondering if this is by design or a bug.  I suspect a bug.

Sorry for any time wasted or confusion that my first answer may have caused.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:04 PM
  • No reason to blame yourself Dale!

Anyway, hope to get some suggestions from someone out there that may put us in a better position than with the workaround we have o far....

Meanwhile I think I will suggest to our customer to submit a support case with MS for this.

Thanks once again!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Kurt -

I think it would be an excellent idea to open a support case with Microsoft.  Please update us with information about how Microsoft responds and how they resolve the issue, if possible.  And thanks for your kind understanding!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:57 PM