Not using Exchange 2003 mail flow or mapi login, still getting errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've disabled the monitors mail flow sender and receiver, and the mapi logon monitor, as well as the perf collectrion for mail flow receiver, and mapi logon monitor yet I'm still receiving alerts:

MAPI Logon Failure, Genral errors in the mail flow receiver script, and MAPI Logon Failure: Cannot verify Exchange Information Store service availability due to an unexpected error.

Anyone know what else I could do to fix this?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:45 PM

Answers

• It's all working perfectly now after re-running the config wizard. Working very well in fact. The key for us was removing older mailboxes from the MOM 2005 days and letting the wizard re-create them as well as grant necessary rights to the MAA. I had issues due to the fact I'm not the Exchange admin and wasn't getting much help from them (just being honest).
    • Marked as answer by S. Halsey Friday, October 9, 2009 4:59 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:13 PM

All replies

• There are a large number of workflows that can cause the Mapi Logon failures.   Many of the Exchange 2003 workflows need a user's mailbox on the local mailbox to be successful.  This is because the Exchange COM object uses the mailbox.   I would look for the warnings or errors in the Operations Manager Event Log on a mailbox server to figure out which workflows are causing these errors.

If you have shut off the mail flow sender and receiver scripts then you should not be getting the General Errors in the mail flow receiver script. If you are still getting them would you mind posting the event logs from the Exchange Mailbox Server's operations Manager logs (should be warnings or errors).
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 12:13 AM
  • I've disabled the monitors listed above, could the scripts be running from anywhere else?
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:48 PM
  • The events would be logged on the server running the script.  Is it possible any of these machines are dual homed to more than one management group and the other management group is still attempting to run the scripts?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Monday, September 21, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Nope. Which monitors/rules are setting this script off?
    Monday, September 21, 2009 5:08 PM
  • There are actually 1 rule and 2 monitors. From the MP Guide

How to Configure Mail Flow Monitoring

Mail Flow Monitoring in the management pack is configured through the Exchange Management Pack Configuration Wizard. You can configure which servers or virtual servers to send mail to and from.

There is one performance collection rule and two monitors involved in Mail Flow monitoring:

·      "Exchange Mail Flow Monitor (Receiver Part)" – this monitor verifies that messages generated by the mail flow sender are received and how long the delivery took. Alerts will be generated if test e-mails are not received within the defined interval.

·      "Exchange Mail Flow Monitor (Sender Part)" – this monitor generates test e-mail messages

·      "Performance Collection Rule for Mail flow receiver" data collection rule - this rule collects mail flow latency performance data between each mail flow receiver and sender.

Additional configuration (beyond what is done in the Configuration Wizard) can be done on the monitors and rule via overrides. 

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:58 PM
  • turned those off and was still receiving errors.

we decided to just implement the test accounts, etc... this mp is a pain.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:19 PM
  • You might want to double-check whether you disabled the monitor for all Exchange servers (ie right-click, overrides, override the monitor, for all objects of class...). Also ensure that the agent receives the updated overrides MP (there is a 1201 event logged on the agent when it receives the updated overrides MP).

You could also run the "Show running rules and monitors for this health service" for the agent to ensure that those are not listed there.

Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:03 PM
  • It's all working perfectly now after re-running the config wizard. Working very well in fact. The key for us was removing older mailboxes from the MOM 2005 days and letting the wizard re-create them as well as grant necessary rights to the MAA. I had issues due to the fact I'm not the Exchange admin and wasn't getting much help from them (just being honest).
    • Marked as answer by S. Halsey Friday, October 9, 2009 4:59 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:13 PM