none
I had to much errors and strange issues i've decided downgraded back to MDT 2012 Update 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I decided to install a reference image of a Windows 7 SP1 Pro (I did it thousands of times) inside a Vbox , make a full update with Microsoft updates (our company don't use WSUS - don't ask) and I've tried to capture an Image, it didn't work at all, it didn't showed me the capture option, few days before that i tried to deploy a windows 7 pc, it didn't went well at all, I tried to make an offline media, it didn't went good and stuck

and all of this made me lose lots and lots of time (you guys as System Administrators know how much time is important) so for now and until my company will decide to move to Win 10, I'll stay with the MDT 2012

by the way after the downgrade everything went smooth without any problems.

Very sad :(

Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:56 AM

All replies

• The first problem we ran into and is a common issue here.  This is the fix we used  : https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e4418f2d-cf0b-4a76-8f2d-8f776d004c24/capture-image-is-missing-from-mdt-8443?forum=mdt

I have not run into your second problem yet, our Production environment is still 2012, and our Dev id dedicated to Windows 10 until we finalize our reference image so I have yet to try and push a Windows 7 image from it.  

Saturday, January 21, 2017 2:33 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your help, but i rather wait until our company will start deploy windows 10 :) probably then, there won't be any issues with it :)
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 7:34 AM
  • I'm on the latest version of MDT, but I am still able to build and deploy Windows 7 and 10 images. I haven't had issues with capturing because the process I use is to build and capture in a single task sequence.

I have an independent "Admin" deployment share that is configured purely for building images.

It's configured like this

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    _SMSTSOrgName=Administrative Deployment Share
    OSInstall=Y
    DoCapture=YES
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP
    UserDataLocation=NONE
    KeyboardLocale=en-US
    UserLocale=en-US
    UILanguage=en-US
    TimeZoneName=Central Standard Time
    TimeZone=020
    ComputerBackupLocation=NETWORK
    BDEInstallSuppress=YES
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN
    HideShell=NO
    ApplyGPOPack=NO
    SLShare=\\SERVER\Share\ADMIN_LOGS
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipComputerName=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipTaskSequence=NO
    SkipRoles=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES

Using these settings, when you deploy Windows it will also capture and then shut down when it's done. I do this all on a VM and added the Suspend Task sequence script so that I can create a checkpoint while the task sequence is suspended. It makes maintaining the image easier as you can then load up the checkpoint, run Windows update, make a new checkpoint and then Resume the task sequence so that it captures an updated image.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:10 PM