Vista Backup Failing with Error: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. 0x800700B7 ' RRS feed

• Question

• I have made a full backup and then several incremental backups. Sometime ago I postponed a scheduled backup several times. Now I never get prompted to do a backup. I have been to the Backup and Restore centre to do one manually and the page says that automatic file backup is not set up ( if I try to restore files though it correctly identifies the last backup disc ). When I try to set it up again it comes up with the following error messages:

File backup could not save your automatic backup settings for the following reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. 0x800700B7

Please try again.

It does the same thing whether I try to set it up to backup locally or remote. Does anyone know what the file is that already exists and what would be the effect of trying to delete it?

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:35 AM

All replies

• Did you ever receive a response to this question?
    I get the identical error when trying to define a backup from my workstation to a 100% empty network attached storage (NAS) device.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Hi Paul,

There's a separate forum for Windows and Windows Server backup discussions and I'd encourage you to post your questions over there:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/threads/

Thanks,
    Christine

Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:39 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

I think this is a separate issue from Paul's. We've seen this issue where Windows Backup cannot back up to NAS devices that does not implement full SMB authentication. We're looking to see how we may address this in the next release.

Thanks,
    Christine

Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Delete all tasks from schedulked tasks %systemroot%\Tasks and it fixes the problem.
    Raj
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:54 PM