Start Button only Prompts Windows Power Options RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an odd issue whereby clicking the "Start" button does not bring up the Start Menu, but the Shut Down options menu pops up prompting me to either Shut Down, Reboot, Log Off, etc. 

I removed any Group Policies in MMC associated with any profiles. I also removed the SID Folders within C:\windows\system32\GroupPolicyUsers.

What settings would change the behavior of the Start Menu?

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Asanders,

When did this issue begin to occur ?Have you made any modifications to the machine ?Can we open the start menu with Win key ?

Please take the following steps to have a check.
    1.Right click the start button ,choose "properties","Customzie","Use Default Settings" and then have a check.
    2.Run "sfc /scannow "to check the health of the system
    3.Login with another account or create a new account to have a check .The present account profiles may have corrupted.
    If it occurred recently ,we can perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous point to have a check .

Best regards

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Friday, March 13, 2015 9:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, March 16, 2015 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:23 AM
  • Hi Brenton,

That is interesting that removing the Group Policy from MMC and the user's GP folder does not set the configured settings back to Not Configured. However, a reboot was performed after the removal, but I will inspect Policy settings once again during a Maintenance Window tonight.

It is something that catches a lot of people. Group Policy is the "policy enforcer". So when you set a policy, like "set wallpaper to XYZ", it will make sure that the wall paper is XYZ. When you remove the group policy that tells the wallpaper to be XYZ, it doesn't change it back to the original wallpaper, it just leaves it at XYZ and will allow the user to change it from that point forward.

This is also true for other policies on systems. Just because you remove the policy, it won't set things "back to default". You have to create a new Group Policy to set it "back to default", or manually set it back to default on the system as described by MeipoXu.

Entrepreneur, Strategic Technical Advisor, and Sr. Consulting Engineer - Strategic Services and Solutions Check out my book - Powershell 3.0 - WMI: http://amzn.to/1BnjOmo | Mastering PowerShell Coming in April 2015!

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I have an odd issue whereby clicking the "Start" button does not bring up the Start Menu, but the Shut Down options menu pops up prompting me to either Shut Down, Reboot, Log Off, etc. 

I removed any Group Policies in MMC associated with any profiles. I also removed the SID Folders within C:\windows\system32\GroupPolicyUsers.

What settings would change the behavior of the Start Menu?

Remember with group policy that if you remove the policy -- it doesn't mean it changes back to default settings. You have to assign a policy that has the default settings in them. You then can refresh the user group policy by logging out and back in or typing:

gpupdate /force

Or to refresh the computer policy by restarting the system.

Entrepreneur, Strategic Technical Advisor, and Sr. Consulting Engineer - Strategic Services and Solutions Check out my book - Powershell 3.0 - WMI: http://amzn.to/1BnjOmo | Mastering PowerShell Coming in April 2015!

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:34 PM
  • Hi Brenton,

That is interesting that removing the Group Policy from MMC and the user's GP folder does not set the configured settings back to Not Configured. However, a reboot was performed after the removal, but I will inspect Policy settings once again during a Maintenance Window tonight.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 11:12 PM
  • Hi Asanders,

When did this issue begin to occur ?Have you made any modifications to the machine ?Can we open the start menu with Win key ?

Please take the following steps to have a check.
    1.Right click the start button ,choose "properties","Customzie","Use Default Settings" and then have a check.
    2.Run "sfc /scannow "to check the health of the system
    3.Login with another account or create a new account to have a check .The present account profiles may have corrupted.
    If it occurred recently ,we can perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous point to have a check .

Best regards

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:23 AM
  • Hi Brenton,

It is something that catches a lot of people. Group Policy is the "policy enforcer". So when you set a policy, like "set wallpaper to XYZ", it will make sure that the wall paper is XYZ. When you remove the group policy that tells the wallpaper to be XYZ, it doesn't change it back to the original wallpaper, it just leaves it at XYZ and will allow the user to change it from that point forward.

This is also true for other policies on systems. Just because you remove the policy, it won't set things "back to default". You have to create a new Group Policy to set it "back to default", or manually set it back to default on the system as described by MeipoXu.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:19 PM