PDF link in Word 2010 > unexpected error RRS feed

• Question

• When clicking a pdf-linked document in Word 2010 the error message "an unexpected error occured" will be displayed. The link is set absolute and when I copy the link by clicking the right mouse button and then paste the path in explorer it opens normally. This happens only with PDF documents, it appears on different workstations as well as on the terminal server. Adobe Reader is already updated with the latest version.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:45 AM

Answers

• UPD: I found an answer which is probably working: The Adobe product can be repaired by clicking "help" and then "repair". After this procedure I can open the PDF. I can not restart the Terminal Server at the moment to finish the repair process because other users are connected, but until now it looks solved. I will restart this evening and tell you if it works fine.
    • Marked as answer by IT474 Friday, January 6, 2012 8:27 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:50 PM

All replies

• hi,

The pdf-linked is a local document or a web site?

i just test, there is nothing wrong see picture:

OS=win7, adobe reader 9.4.7, Word2010 sp1

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:56 AM
  • It is a local document on the same server. It worked fine for months but now this error occurs. When I copy the link by right-clicking and insert it in the WINDOWS EXPLORER (NOT Internet Explorer) the document opens normally.

Adobe Reader 10.1.1 (the latest version).

We installed Service Pack 1 on 2011-12-21, I guess it does not work anymore since this update.
    • Edited by IT474 Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:14 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Please create a new Word document and linked PDF file test if it works.

You can choose either of following methods:

Start Word > Insert tab > Text group > drop done Object > Object...  > Create from File tab >  Browse  > Select a PDF file > Check Link to file  > Check Display as icon > Click OK

Start Word > Insert tab > Text group > drop done Object > Object...  > Create New tab > Package > OK (This will prompt a dialog box to select PDF file that you want to add.

Best Regards.

William Zhou CHN

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Hi William

Thanks for your help.

The first version does not work, there is a error message displayed who says that the document was made with AcroExch and that this application is not installed or busy.

The second version works fine, after inserting it and clicking the symbol, the linked PDF document opens normally.

Is this a hint for you?

Best regards

Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:39 AM
  • UPD: I found an answer which is probably working: The Adobe product can be repaired by clicking "help" and then "repair". After this procedure I can open the PDF. I can not restart the Terminal Server at the moment to finish the repair process because other users are connected, but until now it looks solved. I will restart this evening and tell you if it works fine.
    • Marked as answer by IT474 Friday, January 6, 2012 8:27 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you resolve this issue.
    Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best Regards,

William Zhou CHN

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:22 AM
  • I can confirm that this is the solution. After the above mentioned change and restarting the Terminal Server everything is fine. Thanks for your help which is appreciated.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Thank you, after doing hours of research finally your answer did the trick.

I ended up running Adobe Reader Install under Help file. 

My issue was: I was unable to get hyperlinks to get to documents when I clicked on the hyperlink within Microsoft Excel or even in Microsoft Word. Once I clicked on the link I kept getting "an unexpected error occurred". These links were pointing to our network drive/folders where the data files are stored. I even tried to point link locally on the PC and ended up getting the same error.

Tried the following before:

-Ran Microsoft Office

-Added document path to Trusted Center in Excel

-Reinstalling IE and other webbrowsers

-Updated Adobe to the latest version

Finally, I saw this blog and launched Adobe. Selected Repair under Help. :) 

Thursday, October 15, 2015 4:58 PM