Group Policy setting to show programs run during startup script phase on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I think this is the most appropriate forum so apologies if it is not.

My question relates to installing applications during machine startup using a login script.  My scripts work perfectly by the way and the software installs fine - it's the visibility of the install to the user that's the problem as they aren't shown on Windows 7.

I'd like to make my program installs visible during the Windows 7 machine startup stage so my users (of Windows 7) can tell that something is going on and can see the progress of the install rather than think their machine has hung.  This is an issue with a large software install such as Office 2010 Pro Plus for example that can take a good 10-20 minutes to finish.

On XP, the same startup script displays the setup window(s) with their progress bars absolutely fine until completion and then presents the login screen as expected.

I've enabled the following in GP for Windows 7 machines;

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Verbose vs normal status messages

Whilst a bit more information is displayed to the user with this setting (assigned software installs for example) any UI Windows for processes run during the startup script are still hidden and instead the user just sees the message "Applying computer settings..." until the install completes.

Does anyone know of a policy setting to make them visible?

Many thanks in advance.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:36 PM

Answers

• The policy you are looking for is Run Startup Scripts Visible and it's located under Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Scripts.
    • Proposed as answer by fanboy19 Friday, August 26, 2011 3:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ross Aveling Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:50 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 3:00 PM
  • The policy you are looking for is Run Startup Scripts Visible and it's located under Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Scripts.
    Yes, this worked thank you, we also noted that you have to set "Run Startup Scripts Asynchronously" as Disabled for the above setting to work as some Windows 7 systems come with Asynchronous processing enabled by default! Thank once again.
    • Proposed as answer by ANetworkTechnician Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

you have already used the available setting to see some more information. For scripts make sure that not an option is enabled that prevents the view of the script.

So please post the script content here.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to set a registry value to delay the application of Group Policy and see if it works.

To workaround the issue, follow the steps:

1. Click Start , click Run , type regedit , and then click OK . 
    2. Expand the following subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon 
    3. Right-click Winlogon , point to New , and then click DWORD Value . 
    4. To name the new entry, type GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue , and then press ENTER. 
    5. Right-click GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue , and then click Modify . 
    6. Under Base , click Decimal . 
    7. In the Value data box, type 60 or 120 , and then click OK . 
    8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. 
    9. If the Group Policy startup script does not run, increase the value of the GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue registry entry. 

Windows 7 Clients intermittently fail to apply group policy at startup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2421599

Fixing Scripts policy settings problems
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781809(WS.10).aspx

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, May 6, 2011 5:20 AM
  • Hi,

The Group Policy startup script runs absolutely fine and does what it's supposed to on my Windows 7 machines (as I say in my original post).  The problem is that if I launch a process within my script - in this case the Office 2010 setup - the setup window is hidden from the user and runs in the background.  The user just sees "Applying computer settings..." but I'd like to display the Office setup window and it's progress to them so they can see that something is going on.

Thanks.

Friday, May 6, 2011 10:40 AM
  • it sounds like a session0 issue - big changes made since XP for mitigating session0 security risks.
    checkout: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/developers/archive/2009/10/01/session-0-isolation.aspx

there may be an appcompat setting/solution (but I doubt it)

Don
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Hi Ross,

Please try to disable Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Template\System\Remove Boot / Shutdown / Logon / Logoff status messages and see if it's ok.

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, May 9, 2011 5:53 AM
  • I'm looking for the solution for this as well - Thanks for asking the question, Ross..  I really like XP's verbose, step-by-step messaging, that let's the user know exactly what's going on.

Brent - I don't see that setting in GPM

Thanks

"Hi Ross,

Please try to disable Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Template\System\Remove Boot / Shutdown / Logon / Logoff status messages and see if it's ok.

Brent"

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Hi Col.Angus,

If you want your Windows 7 users to see more information when they log on then you can enable the 'Verbose vs normal status messages' setting in Group Policy that I mention in my initial post.  It will display additional steps such as when assigned software is being installed.  It still doesn't sort my own problem out though.

Regards

Ross

Monday, May 9, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Thanks Don.  All along I've had a niggling feeling that Session 0 isolation could have something to do with it.  I don't mind my startup script programs running under Session 0; I just want their UI's displayed to the user.

I'll read up a bit more on Session 0 and see where that takes me.

Monday, May 9, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Thanks Brent.  As far as I can see that setting you mention relates to Windows 2000, XP and 2003 only.  I'll try it with Windows 7 but I'm doubtful it will have any effect.

Ross

Monday, May 9, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi Ross,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Brent
    Friday, May 13, 2011 6:08 AM
  • Hi Brent,

The registry setting you previously mentioned - 'Remove Boot / Shutdown / Logon / Logoff status messages' - had no effect on Windows 7.

I can't see any further Group Policy settings that could enable what I'm after.  I'm still looking into 'session 0' documentation for Vista/7 to see if this is to blame and to hopefully find an official workaround but to be honest I'm doubtful that one will exist.

For the time being this issue is unanswered.

Ross

Friday, May 13, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Hi Ross,

I have the same issue.  This was driving may crazy because all my installs works great at startup showing a progress bar in windows xp, but not in windows 7.

This is a long shot, but have you found the solution to this problem yet?  I hope you get this message since this post is old.

Thanks for your time.

Nic

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi Ross,

I have the same issue.  This was driving may crazy because all my installs works great at startup showing a progress bar in windows xp, but not in windows 7.

This is a long shot, but have you found the solution to this problem yet?  I hope you get this message since this post is old.

Thanks for your time.

Nic

We use vbscript to install and auto update software across our customers systems. So far I have found out that it is not possible to display anything from statup scripts, Windows 7 suppreses messages and output. The only way I have heard of would be to write a group policy extension dll and add it to the workstations then you can call it from your script. We have had to remove all display functions from our installer script to suppoprt Windows 7 . .A Network Technician
    • Proposed as answer by fanboy19 Friday, August 26, 2011 2:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by fanboy19 Friday, August 26, 2011 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by fanboy19 Friday, August 26, 2011 3:00 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 3:00 PM
    Yes, this worked thank you, we also noted that you have to set "Run Startup Scripts Asynchronously" as Disabled for the above setting to work as some Windows 7 systems come with Asynchronous processing enabled by default! Thank once again.
    • Proposed as answer by ANetworkTechnician Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Christ, thanks fanboy19 that did it.  I completely ruled out that setting as I was under the impression it simply displayed a command window stepping through script commands - well that's what the description suggested to me anyway.

With it enabled my Windows 7 machines do indeed display UI output from the startup scripts - plus if anything goes screwy in the script the error message box is now displayed to the user too rather than Windows 7 simply displaying "Applying computer settings..." for eternity.  Good stuff, I've only being searching for this answer for nearly two years!

I'm just testing to see what this setting does on XP machines.

Thanks again.

• Edited by Ross Aveling Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:57 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:49 AM
  • How did you prevent your users from closing the command window while the script was running?

I performed several tests of installing Office 2010 with a startup script but when I tested closing the command window (which I'm sure users will do), the script terminated.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of to hide the command window without things getting really complicated. 

I am able to run all my batch scripts on Windows XP with the command windows hidden.  All the scripted software installations would show a progress bar and would not allow user to log into their workstation until all software installs were completed.  On Windows 7 this was not the case, for some reason Windows 7 will not show any progress bars and will allow a user to log in by bringing up the Windows login prompt before finishing the software installations.  If a user decided to log in, the software install would break or not finish.

By setting the "Run Startup Scripts Asynchronously" as Disabled and setting the "Run startup scripts visible" as Enabled, this fixed the issue of Windows 7 suppressing messages and output.  The GPO setting for "Run startup scripts visible" is key to allowing the progress bars for software installs the appear.  The only bad thing about this is all the scripted Command windows pop up in front of the user.  Yes, the user can close the command Window, but until Microsoft fixed this issue or someone finds a work around there not much I can do about the command windows.

Maybe someone has found the answer. Anyone?

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:13 PM
  • > scripted Command windows pop up in front of the user. Yes, the user can
    > close the command Window, but until Microsoft fixed this issue or
    > someone finds a work around there not much I can do about the command
    > windows.

Do not run your scripts as .cmd or through cmd.exe or cscript.exe.
    Switch to wscript and they should run invisible.

A bissle "Experience", a bissle GMV... Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Any news to this issue, it's driving me nuts that i cant get this fixed without the user being able to see and CLOSE the cmd window.

Hope there are some news.

Regards Thomas

Sunday, December 16, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Any news to this issue, it's driving me nuts that i cant get this fixed without the user being able to see and CLOSE the cmd window.

Hope there are some news.

Regards Thomas

Martin Binder already answered this one for you.  Make sure you use .vbs scripts and you won't see a command window.
    Friday, January 25, 2013 2:01 PM