none
Can't resume bitlocker after upgrading to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 10 64bit by downloading the upgrade tool from Microsoft and upgrading directly through the Windows 7 OS without the use of a Windows 10 installation USB drive.  Bitlocker was enabled on my main (C:\) harddrive and was set up to decrypt the drive upon system start-up with a BitLocker decryption USB drive inserted.  My other harddrive (E:\ + its mirrored array drive) also had BitLocker enabled and was set up to decrypt after C:\ gets decryped upon startup. 

Before upgrading, I suspended Bitlocker on the C: drive.

Now, I start up my machine with no Bitlocker startup USB drive insertted and Windows 10 starts, but when looking at the drives under This PC, the C: drive has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside of it as an icon, and when attempting to right click on the drive and select "Resume Bitlocker Protection" I get an error message that reads:

Bitlocker Drive Encryption Error

Wizard initialization has failed.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

When trying to enable it through the Command Prompt by typing manage -bde -protectors -enable C: I get the same message only with this added error code: 0x8007045d

I can startup the machine and access my files fine on the C: drive, but if the computer ever gets stolen then the theif can too and because of that I'd like to have everything set-up to how it was originally (Bitlocker resumed with startup key required).

How can this be fixed?

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 3:58 PM

All replies