none
Project Server Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the planning process for a project to upgrade Project Server 2003 to Project Server 2013. I understand that publishers/writers need a Project Pro license or Project Server CAL, and SharePoint Standard and Enterprise CALs, along with the requisite Windows Server and SQL Server CALs.

My question is this. Does a user who will only be viewing and not writing to the server require a Project Pro CAL or Project Server 2010 CAL, or do they just need SharePoint Standard and Enterprise CALs along with Windows Server and SQL Server CALs?

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Correction: the upgrade is to Project Server 2010 from Project Server 2003.
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Hello,

Users who only use PWA will only require the Project Server CAL plus SharePoint/Windows/SQL CALs. they will only need a Project Pro license if they need to view or edit data in the client. Remember users can now do a lot of the editing in PWA so that will save you on the Project Pro licenses.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Hey Paul,

We are looking at a MS Project-based PRoject management solution for our organisation and I have some queries.

Suppose the server infrastructure comprises of Project Server 2013 Enterprise Ed, Sharepoint Enterprise Server and MS SQL Server running on a Windows Server, how does one calculate the licences in the following scenarios?

S1) User connects to PWA using a general standards compliant web browser from a PC running a non-windows OS.

S2) User connects to PWA using a general standards compliant web browser from a PC running a windows OS

S3) User connects to Project Server using Project Pro running off a PC on the LAN

S4) User connects to PWA using Project for Office 365

I suppose that all the users who will be using Project will have to be present on the Active Directory (on the Windows Server) before they can have an identity on PWA. Pl correct me if this is a wrong supposition.

Additionally, what are the server-side licences, the very minimum that will be required.

Thank you.

Ajit Menon, India.

Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:23 AM