none
Backup up with DPM on another server that has a tape drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I just installed SCE 2010 on a hyper-v virtual machine, I would like to use DPM as my backup solution for the whole environment. I am currently using Backup-Exec that is installed on another physical machine with a tape drive on it.

I would like to retire Backup-Exec and start using DPM to backup to my tape drive; how can I map a tape drive or how I can backup to my tape drive that is located on another server.

Thank you

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

The most common scenarios if that you have two DPM servers, one primary and one secondary. As you self mentioned, you can't install a physical tape drive to Hyper-V since that is not supported. FC stands for Fibre Channel.

What you however can do is two different scenarios depending on your backup strategy, number of servers, internal SLA etc:

• Reinstall the sevrer hosting the thirdparty backup software and install DPM. Keep in mind that DPM must also have a local diskpool where it can store the backed up data, you can use SAN,NAS,DAS or just local disk (the disk must be presented as local attached storage).
      • If you have a larger enviroment or a need to uphold a SLA use the strategy of DPM-DPM-DR meening you will use two DPM servers, one primary and one secondary. The primary DPM server will be used to perhaps managed the weekly backup to disk and the secondary will be used to ship the primary DPM severs backed up data to tape. In your case:
    • Keep the virtual DPM sevrer and use it as a primary DPM server
    • Reinstall the physical server hosting the thirdparty software used for backup today and install DPM.
    • The benefit of using DPM-DPM-DR is if the primary DPM server fails you can promote the secondary DPM server to primary. And last but not least you can keep your protected production data on different locations.

If you got further questions post them =)

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Taverny Monday, September 17, 2012 3:44 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Taverny,

The tape drive must be attched directly or via FC to the server that has the DPM server installed. There is no supported way of sharing the tape dirve between BE and DPM nor between hardware.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Hi Robert ,

Thank you for your response. My DPM server is installed on a virtual server so it's obvious that I can't have a tape drive attached to it directly . What does FC stand for?

So what do you recommend in term of backing up with DPM or how other users are using it? the other option would be to back it up to my physical server shared folder and then use my current backup exec to back it up to tape .

Any advice would be appreciate.

thanks

David

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Hi David,

The most common scenarios if that you have two DPM servers, one primary and one secondary. As you self mentioned, you can't install a physical tape drive to Hyper-V since that is not supported. FC stands for Fibre Channel.

What you however can do is two different scenarios depending on your backup strategy, number of servers, internal SLA etc:

• Reinstall the sevrer hosting the thirdparty backup software and install DPM. Keep in mind that DPM must also have a local diskpool where it can store the backed up data, you can use SAN,NAS,DAS or just local disk (the disk must be presented as local attached storage).
      • If you have a larger enviroment or a need to uphold a SLA use the strategy of DPM-DPM-DR meening you will use two DPM servers, one primary and one secondary. The primary DPM server will be used to perhaps managed the weekly backup to disk and the secondary will be used to ship the primary DPM severs backed up data to tape. In your case:
    • Keep the virtual DPM sevrer and use it as a primary DPM server
    • Reinstall the physical server hosting the thirdparty software used for backup today and install DPM.
    • The benefit of using DPM-DPM-DR is if the primary DPM server fails you can promote the secondary DPM server to primary. And last but not least you can keep your protected production data on different locations.

If you got further questions post them =)

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

• Marked as answer by Taverny Monday, September 17, 2012 3:44 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Thank you for your response, after long research online I was able to attach my tape drive to my DPM virtual Machine, I used a tool from Starwind that enable me to create a iSCSI device and was able to attach it to my VM. now I just have to test the speed and see if a backup works properly.

I do have another question regarding backing up to Disks, I will probably do backup to disk everyday and depending how long the tape drive will take to backup my whole environment maybe few times a week.

let's say my whole environment becomes corrupted, and the only backups I have are on my disks where I created the DPM Storage Pool; if I reinstall DPM on a new server and add those disk to DPM to create the storage pool , would DPM see the backup or will it delete everything on the disk when I attach them? or is there a different procedure to reattach those backup for me to start restoring from those disk?

Thank you,

David

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Hi David,

Please bare in mind that this is not a supported solution, if you run into problem you will not be able to get help via the support.

Regarding your disk pool question, post it as a new question and we will take it from there.

Please mark my response as answer so we can continue working on your new question.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Thank you Robert,

I will open a new post regarding my new question.

David

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:44 PM