svchost excessive memory usage RRS feed

• Question

• another request for Andre Zeigler to help with excessive memory being used by svchost.

Here is the link to my etl file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxh7fpfsg1jcb6u/highCPUUsage.7z

Sure hope you can help. Many thanks.

Marie-Andrée

Monday, July 15, 2013 8:35 PM

All replies

• I can't see memory issues. You must add new flags to the commandline:

xperf -on latency+ReferenceSet -stackwalk PageAccess+PageRelease+PageRangeAccess+PageRangeRelease+PagefileMappedSectionCreate+VirtualAlloc+VirtualFree+PagefileMappedSectionDelete -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 384 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d HighCPUUsage.etl

this gives me memory details. Also run it at least 30s.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:21 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for the reply.

Here is the new link: hxxps://www.dropbox.com/s/jxh7fpfsg1jcb6u/highCPUUsage.7z

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:42 PM
  • I still see no issue. the svchost.exe uses 135MB:

Which issue do you have?

The svchost.exe hosts the Superfetch service which needs a bit of RAM itself.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Andre,

The problem is that when my computer first starts, it generally uses a number of separate instances of svchost with two principal ones totaling  about 500M. This seems to slow everything down. For example, if I load chrome, it won't connect to a website and it takes a couple of minutes before a connection can be made. Generally, when it is in this condition, programs are slow to open and the computer reacts slowly to mouse clicks.

I suspected svchost since it seemed to be using lots of memory at first (500M) and even later it would be around 300--400M. At other times, it reduces to a reasonable 130-150.

Perhaps my problem lies elsewhere? hmmm...

Marie

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:50 PM
  • You must capture a trace when you have this high memory usage. Only this way I can see the cause.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:05 PM
    Answerer