Problems creating a Windows 10 Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 10 Enterprise task sequence that keeps failing.  I built an image using VMWare Workstation and created a WIM that works fine as a Windows to Go device.  

I imported that WIM into MDT 2012 and I am using a copy of a WIndows 8.1 Enterprise Task Sequence.  

I am getting 8 errors indicating the OS did complete successfully. 

1. Failure (5627) 50: Run Dism.exe
    2. Lite Touch deployment failed.
    3. Unknown error (Error: 000015FB)
    4. The execution of the group (install) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action has failed.
    5. Operation aborted (Error:80004004; Source: Windows)
    6. Failed to run the last action: Install Operating System. Execution of task sequence failed.
    7. Task Sequence Engine Failed: Code enExecutionFail
    8. Task Sequence execution failed with error code 800004005. Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 800004005

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Monday, October 13, 2014 5:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well deploy Windows 10 with MDT 2012 is not supported, you must use dism.exe from  the technical preview to deploy windows 10.

Arwidmark has a blog post about it: http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/192/Beyond-unsupported-Deploying-Windows-Technical-Preview-with-MDT-2013.aspx

• Proposed as answer by MrBrooks Monday, October 13, 2014 7:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Monday, October 13, 2014 7:39 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 7:06 PM
  • What Henrik says is correct, you need to use the correct version of DISM.  If you look in the logs you can actually see it state incorrect versioning. That being said -- I didn't have any issues deploying it with the error, the system will load with full oobe without any unattend configurations.
    Monday, October 13, 2014 7:38 PM
  • I mounted my W 10 WIM and copied the DISM.exe and DISM folder to my deployment share tools folder and added the two command line actions to the W 10 Task Sequence and then tried to image the test computer.

Now I'm getting a ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by LTIApply: This version of dism.exe /image:C:\ /APPLY - Unattend:C:\Windows\Panther\Unattend.xml /ScratchDir:C:\MININT\Scratch is nor compatible with the Version of Windows you're running.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:28 AM
  • I figured it out.  I was using a x32 WDS boot image.  I changed to the x64 and I'm up and running. Thanks for all the help!
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:56 AM
  • I have a scripted solution to this problem on my blog: http://goo.gl/frF8Ed - though, I have not tested it with MDT 2012.

Let me know if you have any feedback. The solution works perfectly for Windows 10, Windows Server vNext (Windows Server 10?) and Hyper-V Server vNext (Hyper-V Server 10?) with MDT 2013.

• Proposed as answer by Frank E Lesniak Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:15 PM