none
Project Server 2013: Setting per project utilization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to utilize a single resource on multiple projects (50% allocation on each project), How can make this settings in MS Project Server 2013 PWA?

I have tried giving 50% allocation to one resource by editing the respective resource details, but from this i can manage the resource 50% utilization in one project only, how can i utilize his rest of the 50% utilization in other project? Is there any option to do so?

Please let me know the possible settings & changes of allocating resources 50% on multiple projects.

Note: The changes which i have done, it was made at global level, I want to utilize each resource on multiple project 50% each.

Thanks & Regards

Shridhar

Monday, May 26, 2014 12:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Shridhar,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to set a parameter saying that the resource will work on 50% on 2 projects. You'll have to edit the % unit for assignments on both projects to 50%.

If you set 50% in the resource's parameters in PWA, this will set 50% of global availability for the resource.

See reference below:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, May 26, 2014 12:22 PM
  • You're more than welcome Shridhar,

Indeed since you cannot parameter in a unique place the % allocation of resources on each project, the project manager has to calculate and make the plan accordingly. That being said, note that using the % unit allows the PM not to do any calculation.

For example, the PM create a 40 days task, insert the resource in the project team and split the screen to display the task form in the bottom part. Assigning the resource on the task, he can specify that the resource will work at 50%. Depending on the task type (fixed work, duration or unit), the task will be calculated accordingly. If the task is fixed duration, Project will calculate that the effort on the task will be 40 days * 50% allocation = 20 days.

Hope this helps,

Monday, May 26, 2014 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Shridhar,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to set a parameter saying that the resource will work on 50% on 2 projects. You'll have to edit the % unit for assignments on both projects to 50%.

If you set 50% in the resource's parameters in PWA, this will set 50% of global availability for the resource.

See reference below:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx

Hope this helps,

Monday, May 26, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume Rouyre,

Means,  we cannot set for multiple projects in-fact there is no use of setting resource 50% (Anyway it will set globally & it set only for one project)

The solution for above problem will be like, the manager need to calculate manually and make a project plan according to that right?

Please let me know, your feedback's are really appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Shridhar Samala

Monday, May 26, 2014 12:49 PM
  • You're more than welcome Shridhar,

Indeed since you cannot parameter in a unique place the % allocation of resources on each project, the project manager has to calculate and make the plan accordingly. That being said, note that using the % unit allows the PM not to do any calculation.

For example, the PM create a 40 days task, insert the resource in the project team and split the screen to display the task form in the bottom part. Assigning the resource on the task, he can specify that the resource will work at 50%. Depending on the task type (fixed work, duration or unit), the task will be calculated accordingly. If the task is fixed duration, Project will calculate that the effort on the task will be 40 days * 50% allocation = 20 days.

Hope this helps,

Monday, May 26, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume Rouyre,

Really appreciated your feedback and its is more useful for me.

Regards,

Shridhar

Monday, May 26, 2014 1:17 PM
  • You're more than welcome. Please mark any of the above replies as answers if it has been helpful so other users with the same concern can refer to it.

Hope this helps,

Monday, May 26, 2014 1:23 PM