none
Delay or schedule sending email messages Hosted Exchange Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Hopefully I am posting this question in the right place.

We have a user that is trying to delay a message to a different user. The problem is that if the original user who is trying to delay the message closes outlook the delayed message will not go out to the intended recipient.  I did notice the KB for office:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Delay-or-schedule-sending-email-messages-ea346137-e1e2-4ec4-a77b-1522b75b15d1?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

And it does state that "If you are using a POP3 or IMAP account, Outlook must remain open until the message is sent"

My question is,

We actually have a hosted exchange account with outlook. is that the same as pop3/imap accounts therefore the outlook client needs to stay open?

Will the delay option work in OWA?

What about rules set in outlook to forward to other individuals, does outlook the application have to stay open?

Thanks all for any help/feedback

Thursday, December 25, 2014 12:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For your first question, delayed delivery options are client side in cached mode and server side in online mode. So, when using Cached Exchange Mode, Outlook must be connected and open at the assigned delivery time for the delayed delivery message to be sent. If you are using Online Mode, then you don't need to leave Outlook running.

As far as I know, we don't have the same delayed delivery option in OWA. And also, only rules can be created for incoming emails with Outlook Web App, therefore a rule to set a delay on outgoing email is not possible.

For the rule to forward an incoming email automically, you'll have to use the "defer" rule, but as far as I know, it's a client-only rule, will only process when Outlook is running.

Regards,

Ethan Hua
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Thursday, December 25, 2014 7:54 AM