none
How to config shutdown clients with GPO?

General discussion

• Hi every one!

I'm using Windown Server 2012. Now i want to config shutdown clients at 5:00PM with GPO. I configured solution below:

1. Create new GPO ( checked  Enforced and Link Enabled)

2. Click right New GPO to Edit.--> Computer configuration > Preferences > > Control Panel settings > Shedule Tasks

3. Trigger  c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe with Arguments -s -t 45

4. Schedule time for shutdown at 5:00 PM

But at 5:00 PM, I don't know Server System ( DC, PDC, SQL, ....) was shutdown like clients????? I only want to shutdown all clients but not shutdown Server.

Can you tell why and show me solution? Thanks all.

Friday, February 24, 2017 3:12 AM

All replies

• The GPO you created, where have you linked it to? Have you linked the GPO to ONLY the OU where client machines are located? Is the server/s that shutdown located in same OUs?
    Saturday, February 25, 2017 8:52 PM
  • The GPO that I created below Default Domain Police. You can tell me put it where is right
    Monday, February 27, 2017 3:03 AM
  • You need to unlink it from there and instead link it to the OU or OUs that contain the computer accounts you want to shutdown.
    Monday, February 27, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi Stu Cousins!

For example, I have two OU is Accouting and IT. Ou accouting containing A account and Ou IT containing B account but don't have Computer Account on that OU. Do I need add Computer Account? If is ok after that Edit GPO created before, I should choose Edit Policy Computer Configuration or User Configuration? ( I wish only shutdown Clients Computer with GPO).

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:34 AM
  • Hi. You should apply the shutdown GPO to the OU that has the computer accounts you want to shutdown. I assume the computers you want to shutdown are all domain members? If so, you need to link the GPO to that OU. You also need to set the Computer Configuration settings in the GPO,
    I'm not sure how good your AD and GPO skills are but I'd strongly recommend you learn and understand these areas because incorrectly GPOs can cause lots or problems and be difficult to troubleshoot if you don't understand how they're applied, etc. Hope this helps.
    • Edited by Stu Cousins Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:51 PM Update
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:43 PM