none
VSS error protecting Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I've got a primary DPM server protecting an Exchange DAG (two node) with an even distibution of active mailbox databases on each node.  A secondary DPM server protects the primary DPM server and also ships things out to tape.  When I use the DPM console on the seccondary server to pick out the Exchange server databases from the primary server, I can pick them, and back them all up except one.  I get a "The operation failed because the data source VSS component  "numberstringhere" is missing.  Check to see that the protected data source is installed properly and that the VSS writer service is running.

The mailbox database in question is being backed up successfully without issue by the primary DPM.  I have the latest rollups installed on both DPM servers.

Any suggestions..

Homer

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:12 PM

Answers

• The answer to this was to remove the mailbox database from the primary DPM server, retain the protection points, and then reprotect the server using the same criteria as before.  Not exactly sure what this did....but the 2ndary DPM server was able to protect following this action.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:17 PM

All replies

• from elevated command prompt run

vssadmin list writers

and check if the Exchange writer status is 1 and stable. if the status is failed (3 or 8) then restart the server and check the status one more time.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:02 AM
  • On the exchange server is question the writer is listed as State: [1] Stable

Since secondary DPM is protecting the primary DPM, the error is in protecting a DAG database on the primary DPM server...wouldn't the issue be on primary DPM server?  Doing a list writers on the either DPM server, I see no errors.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:39 PM
  • have you checked the Sync and the Express full backup time?

Maybe there is a conflect in the schedule. I mean one backup is running while its running on the other server.

If you found this helpful please mark it as an answer

• Proposed as answer by Laith_IT Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:27 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Homer J. Simpson Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:14 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:30 AM
  • The answer to this was to remove the mailbox database from the primary DPM server, retain the protection points, and then reprotect the server using the same criteria as before.  Not exactly sure what this did....but the 2ndary DPM server was able to protect following this action.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:17 PM