none
Why Do I get 0h hours for resources after using Resource Levelling in Project 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using MSProject 2010 and Project Server 2010 with Enterprise resources. All resources on all projects in the enterprise are shared resources. We are finding that after resource levelling is applied to the project some resources are only being assigned a fraction of their total availability, and in some cases Project will assign 0 hours to a resource for several consecutive weeks even though the resource has capacity for the week the task is scheduled to start. 

For example: Let's say we have a task that is scheduled to start on 1-20-14. The task is a 112 hours of effort with no constraints and one resource assigned to it. The resource is available 40 hours per week for the next 4 weeks. After resource levelling I would expect Project to assign the resource as follows: 40 hours in week 1, 40 hours the next week and 32 hours the next week, for a total of 112 hours. Instead, Project does not assign the resource to the task until week 4 (even though the resource has capacity on the start date of the task) and pushes the finish date out. In some weeks the resource has 0h hours showing in the timephased grid on the Resource Usage sheet.  We have experimented with the levelling settings and it does not seem to matter which boxes are checked, but following is our preferred settings:

1. Levelling Calculations set to Manual

2. Look for overallocations on a day by day basis

3. Clear levelling values before levelling is CHECKED

4. Level entire project is selected.

5. Levelling order is Priority,Standard

6. Level only within available slack is CHECKED

7. Levelling can adjust individual assignments on a task is CHECKED

8. Levelling can create splits in remaining work is UNCHECKED

9. Level resources with the proposed booking type is UNCHECKED

10. Level manually scheduled tasks is CHECKED.

Does anyone have any ideas about why Project is not using the resource's available capacity?

Thanks, Judy

• Edited by Judy IPD Friday, January 17, 2014 7:15 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Judy,

Your question is quite "opaque" actually. 

Auto-scheduling feature works perfectly in Project Pro 2010. In order to help you, we'd need to have details on the issues your PM are encountering.

I'd also mentionned that using efficiently MS Project requires some basic knowledges about scheduling concepts in Project such as constraints, calendars, task types, resources assignments...

As for any tools, wrong operations or concept ignorance can trigger unexpected behavior that could be seen as bugs whereas there are just normal.

We'll be glad to help you if you gave us explicits cases.

Regards.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:36 PM
  • It does work properly. Only you have to choose where you need to use Manual and where Auto Scheduling. Both the Scheduling method server the user need. Below mentioned link is having comparison accordingly you can choose for your task or project http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tech-decision-maker/manual-vs-autoscheduled-tasks-in-microsoft-project-2010/5591/

kirtesh

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:36 PM
  • Judy --

Before any of us could help in a meaningful way, we need to know what your PMs think is not working properly.  Would you please ask them for specific examples and then maybe we can comment.  When someone says that the software is not working properly, it is usually a situation when there tool IS working properly, but the user does not understand the tool or does not know what to expect from the tool.  But please find out from your PMs what is happening and then we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

Just to make sure there is no misunderstnding here. People who are used to Primavera terminology say auto-scheduling when they mean Project's Resource Leveling. Isn't that what they mean?

Greetings,

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:01 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Actually you're right, so good catch! The PMs said "auto-scheduling" when they raised the issue but after investigating further I found that it was really a resource levelling issue. I am in the process of investigating that. 

Judy Washington

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:06 PM
  • Hello Guillaume,

The PMs said "auto-scheduling" but what they meant was "resource levelling". I am still looking into it so I will let you know if I have any questions. Thanks.

Judy Washington

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Hi Kirtesh,

The PMs said "auto-scheduling" but what they meant was "resource levelling". I am still looking into it so I will let you know if I have any questions. Thanks.

Judy Washington

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Judy Washington

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Hi Judy,

Indeed as we said, resource levelling is a MS Project feature that requires to have some basics about resource management and MS Project levelling.

Here is a couple of link that might help you:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2008/10/30/back-to-basics-understanding-resource-leveling.aspx

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-consultant/how-to-use-microsoft-project-2010s-rule-based-resource-leveling/#.

Once more, if you come back to us with some explicit and real cases, we'll be pleased to help you.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:36 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume.

Judy Washington

Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Hi Jan,

I have changes my Question to "Why Do I get 0h hours for resources after using Resource Levelling in Project 2010?" in order to have the correct issue addressed. Thanks.

Judy Washington

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Hi Judy,

Interesting. The question is: Before leveling, how does the work distribution look like? 40-40-32?

You seem to be in a server environment. Isn't the reosuce loaded in other projects? (This is what I suspect)

If this dosn't explain it, I want to have a look at the file. Do send it to jandemesATprom-ade.be replacing AT by @

If you would like me to examine this should be FAST, Sunday morning I leave on holiday for 2 weeks.

Greetings,

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Judy --

One issue not explicitly mention in the replies by anyone else is what you should do prior to leveling if you are using Project Server.  What I recommend you do is to exit Microsoft Project and relaunch the software.  In the Login dialog, DESELECT the Load Summary Resource Assignments checkbox and then click the OK button.  Open the same enterprise project mentioned in this post and try leveling again.  Do you still have the same problem?  Please let us know what you find and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:36 PM
  • Hi Judy,

Thanks to give us more detail. But actually if you need to level a resource, it means that this resource is overallocated. In your example, since it is not overallocated on the 12weeks task you mention, it means that it should be assigned on another task. If not, there would be no need to perform any resource levelling.

Concerning the fact that levelling assign resource at 0hr per week, this can be absolutely normal.

Imagine that you have a resource working at 100% on 2 tasks on the same period. imagine also that there is actual work on one of the 2 tasks. Project will level the resource, meaning that it will move ahead the remaining work of one of the task (depending on the levelling parameters). But the actual work will not move, thus between the actual work and the moved-foreward remaining work, the resource will be assign at 0hr by time period on the splitted task.

Please check all the task of the levelled resource and actual work.

See in my example below:

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Jan,

To clarify - we're not levelling the resource that this is happening to. The levelling is taking place for the entire project. I would expect Project to skip any resources that don't need to be levelled.

As a test, we created a one-task project schedule with one enterprise resource that is not assigned to any other tasks on any other project with the scenario I descibed before. Before levelling, the resource was assigned 40 hours, 40 hours, and 32 hours across 3 weeks. After levelling the project (remember it's a test) MSProject changed the resource's assignment to 0h 0h 0h...and pushed the start date out as I mentioned before. 

Judy Washington

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:10 PM
  • Dale,

We've tried it with Load Summary Resource Assignments checked and unchecked and it doesn't seem to matter.

Judy Washington

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Jan,

Yes, that's how it looks 40, 40, 32. After levelling it goes to 0, 0, 0...etc.

Judy Washington

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

OK next question. Assign a LOCAL resource to the task and level. Sill 40,40,32 I guess?

If yes, it's about the enterprise resource's attributes I guess. Is its availability changing over time? That often gives the symptoms you describe. Doesn't it have administrative time scheduled?

Greetings,

Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:45 AM