Remove PIN button missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PIN.  I want to  stop using it.  All I see in my account is :  Add a pin.  No butto/link to remove or change.
    Saturday, June 23, 2018 9:35 PM

Answers

• Yes, once you turn on Windows Hello, PIN cannot be removed, because all another sign-in options based on a valid PIN, in order to let you enter system when other sign-in options fail.

It is by design

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 25, 2018 2:33 AM

All replies

• when you enable Windows Hello (f.e. log n in via fingerprint),
    the PIN can not be disabled.
    Sunday, June 24, 2018 12:29 PM
  • Yes, once you turn on Windows Hello, PIN cannot be removed, because all another sign-in options based on a valid PIN, in order to let you enter system when other sign-in options fail.

It is by design

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 25, 2018 2:33 AM

It is by design

Regards

Does anyone have a real answer? If a user forgets their PIN, what is the methodology to reset it? I currently have the same issue as the OP. The "Remove" button is missing from my Sign-in Options.

Lots of people have stated this removal is by design as similar to the post above says "because all [sic] another sign-in options based on a valid PIN" - THIS STATEMENT IS INCORRECT.

We have almost 100 domain joined Windows 10 (Enterprise v1803, September Update) devices and 9 of those do not have the Remove button. We have multiple OEM devices, but there is no pattern, both Lenovo and Microsoft devices with both fingerprint readers and IR cameras exhibit the issue.

There has to be a way to restore the Remove button for the machine or otherwise setup a PIN for a user that does not involve reimaging the machine or deleting the user account from the machine.

**NOTE** - For those that are interested. If you do have Face or Fingerprint authentication enabled and you remove your PIN (using your domain credentials), those other options are removed as well. So "yes" the PIN is a requirement, but the missing Remove button has nothing to do with that requirement. We have already tried removing the Face/Fingerprint authentication, rebooting, then seeing if the Remove button is restored. To date, nothing has restored that functionality.

I have seen other articles saying removing/re-adding to the domain worked for one user, but that is too impactful of a solution for our use case.

I am looking for more things to try.

TIA

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:57 PM
  • I am in the same boat and so far have found no answers. Obviously an update along the way ha caused this as i use to have access to a "remove" button or a "i forgot my pin" link. Also the i forgot my pin and login screen seems to not work. We just get the error "this machine is not joined to your organization" It is joined to domain so not sure what that is saying
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 7:56 PM
  • If I would have known this, I would have never set up a pin. but it seems unavoidable because if you don`t set up a pin, it keeps asking you too. Just bought 2 new HP laptops with Windows 10S for my granddaughter`s for school work at home. Did not know it was Windows 10S at purchase, but glad it was. I like the idea that Microsoft is making a similar product like Apple. Only Microsoft approved apps.

But, after learning that the only way to make there user account secure/parental controls was to sign in to Microsoft.com/ family. It`s been a little bit of a hassle. (Yet the benefits of knowing everywhere, and anything they do online is great!) Setting up outlook emails for them, passwords, and now a pin for them, and for me.

Trouble is now, I have to remember all the pins, and the log in info to my outlook, and there's.

Question- My PC has windows 10 Home, and it has never asked me to set up a pin. Though I see in settings/accounts that the option is there. If I upgrade the laptops from 10S to 10 home, does this give the option to remove pin login option?

Friday, January 4, 2019 6:58 PM