none
Everything below the ribbon disappears when choosing the Deliverable or Dependency pane; Project Server v2013

Question

• We are operating Project Server v2013.  In this particular instantiation, all users are accessing the Server and Project Pro via thin clients with AppV.

We have encountered a new anomaly where if you click either the deliverable or dependency pane, everything below the ribbon will disappear.  The user is then compelled to close the file and relaunch.  No data is lost, but it is now impossible to add, delete, modify, or link to SharePoint deliverables.   

The IT department for the customer claims there has been no change to our version of Project Pro, Project Server, or AppV.  it has been suggested that there might have been a change to the GPO, or Group Policy Object.  This can occur without warning. We are investigating as to whether a change to the GPO did occur.  Since the deliverable and dependency panes are portals into SharePoint, it is indeed possible that somebody might have changed some kind of policy or firewall setting.

We have also discovered that the anomaly occurs when opening the Task Inspector on the Task tab.

The anomaly occurs for all three Project Servers located at this particular customer.  It is not occurring for our other customers or on any of our corporate servers.

Thoughts?

Chris

Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

The Deliverable and Dependency panes are the side panels that appear when you are on the Task tab and then go to Deliverable==>Manage Deliverables (or Manage Dependencies).  Our primary use of Project Server centers around the Deliverable/Dependency relationship.

We finally got a fix.  The IT people reached out to a Microsoft field engineer (I don't have the person's name).  One of the things we found out was Project Pro has to be at the same or higher patch level as Project Server otherwise capability will diminish.   The second thing that was done was we were switched from virtualizing Project Pro on thin clients via AppV to using Citrix. 

Regards,

Chris

Monday, May 01, 2017 2:23 PM

All replies

• IE browser updates or changes in IE could be the issue.  I have seen IE issues where a few people in same company are having issues and others are not.  

To help eliminate IE browser, try using Chrome or Microsoft Edge.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, April 21, 2017 3:16 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I don't believe this is an issue with the browser.  The problem occurs when we try to access Deliverables or Dependencies from Project Pro.  The browser isn't even up!

One piece of information we just received was somebody applied August OS patches for SQL and SharePoint.  Yes, they are behind.  Another piece of info is this entire system is sealed from the public internet.  I do not have the ability to share screen shots.

Regards,

Chris

Monday, April 24, 2017 12:07 PM
  • I have recently seen the issue about Task Inspector not working properly.  The fix was to add About:Internet as a trusted site.  Weird.  

Note exactly sure what is meant by the DEPENDENCY and DEPENDENCY pane.  Which tab is that on?

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Sunday, April 30, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Hi Michael,

The Deliverable and Dependency panes are the side panels that appear when you are on the Task tab and then go to Deliverable==>Manage Deliverables (or Manage Dependencies).  Our primary use of Project Server centers around the Deliverable/Dependency relationship.

We finally got a fix.  The IT people reached out to a Microsoft field engineer (I don't have the person's name).  One of the things we found out was Project Pro has to be at the same or higher patch level as Project Server otherwise capability will diminish.   The second thing that was done was we were switched from virtualizing Project Pro on thin clients via AppV to using Citrix. 

Regards,

Chris

Monday, May 01, 2017 2:23 PM