none
non WIM drivers licking to deployed image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I prepared offline image for 3 Lenovo models.

Operating system is captured from extra virgin W7 VM (VLK).

Drivers for injection are carefully selected for Offline from properly organized structure using selection profile.

Actually, it is one - LAN driver, that is the same for every model to be deployed.

The weird thing happened that one of 3 models fails after first reboot, with the message about failed or corrupted driver:

ifM63x64.sys

I found couple of posts with similar problem... but cannot find a solution for my issue.

I edited my WIM that is in Offline Media. There are no the above driver name in system32\Drivers or DriverStore.

What is weird that I do find the above driver in mentioned folder when access directories on failed machine (boot with Knoppix).

Just for info... how it possible that the driver non existent in WIM magically appears in the deployed image ?

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, September 18, 2017 7:21 PM

All replies

• As long as you have drivers in your deployment share they will be selected based on your selection profile and then applied as you layer down your image. For driver selection, there is another feature called DriverGroup that will help you do some more advanced filtering.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:43 AM
  • Anton,

I have clear understanding about Dirver Group and Selection Profile.

My structure has 2 OSes captured from VM and accordingly 2 TSes

I have 25+ models folders in Out of Box.

From the pic below we can see that there are only 3 drivers for injection in OFFLINE media.

Again the question is:

how folders in Drivers and DriverStore that do not exist in the WIM of the media and in Out of Box do appear in the same folders of failed after first reboot deployed machine.

The name is different from what is in Out of box. It is ifM63x64.sys

The only thing I can think is that it is in the registry of my WIM (and in this case in the registry of clean captured Windows). I doubt of this. 

May be somebody has the answer to the question.

I really want to understand the cause and fix it.

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:48 PM
  • You anwered it yourself: either drivers are being injected via your task sequence (and are therefore part of your out of the box drivers repository) or they are already included in the image. At this stage of deployment only two things happen: WIM is layered down on the target partition and litetouch copies selected drivers into the driver store so that Windows can pull necessary drivers during the specialize phase. Btw, MDT internal folder structure is totally different, don't pay much attention to it.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:06 PM
  • RESOLVED! ooofff...

> You anwered it yourself: either drivers are being injected via your task sequence (and are therefore part of your out of the box drivers repository) or they are already included in the image.

---Sure I know the theory that is why I started with that my WIM is extra virgin and the only one Net driver is selected for injection.

However, it failed on one model with the message about the driver liked and I was 200% sure that it is not in the image or in Out of box...

Guess what...

When further investigated failed computer drive, I found that the folder "Drivers" presents on c:\ and it is surely not in the image. This folder contained bogus driver. So I checked related TS knowing that Offline user state capture is disabled... State capture step Generate Application Migration File is enabled and I strongly belive (did not test it yet) that this step copies the Folder driver from previous installation.

What was tested and perfectly works is deletion of the folder Drivers before applying offline image.

I will add a result after testing a newly generated offline image with adjusted TS.

and you say:

> Btw, MDT internal folder structure is totally different, don't pay much attention to it.

--- Let me disagree... It is exactly the same on MDT and in Offline Media.

• Edited by pob579 Sunday, September 24, 2017 1:17 AM
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:22 PM