none
DPM 2012 R2 - Database Error 943 in Restore Pane RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all,

    this morning we came upon a problem with our DPM server. It is on version 4.2.1273.0 (UR4), running on 2012 Server German with the latest patches. 

    When opening the restore pane, we get an error window mentioning a database inconsistency (ID: 943). The dpm client closes then. All other dpm functions seem to work correctly. What we have tried already:

    DBCC checkdb yields no errors. The sql database is online, also all backup operations of dpm run normally. 

    A dpmsync -sync does not change the problem.

    Trying a restore via powershell, the powershell window closes as soon as a Get-DPMRecoverypoint is issued. So the problem seems not only dpm interface-related.

    The last backup of the database is from 10/29 when the UR4 was installed (shame on us!). Restoring this DB renders the DPM service inoperable (missing sql stored procedure). So we went back to a backup of today that shows the error described above.

    We have not tried a restore after UR4 was installed, but definitely within a month before, where everything worked fine. 

    Any ideas? Does it make sense to uninstall UR4? Any advanced troubleshooting to find the 'inconsistency' in the DB?

    Thanks for your help,

    Best,

    Markus

    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:50 PM

Answers

  • After letting the server sit for the weekend I could finally solve the problem. What I did:

    - changed the sqlserver and sql agent service user to the local microsoft$dpm$acct (was running under system account before). Restarted sqlserver- and dpm services.

    - removed a number of failed jobs from the agent job list (their execution path pointed to the installation path of dpm 2012, which was upgraded to 2012 R2)

    - Applied the latest cumlative update 1 for sqlserver 2012 SP2

    - recreated the mta folder under the dpm temp folder that I accidentally deleted during the cleanup of the tracelogs, which led to tape backups failing

    - rebooted

    I think that the first point was the most important. I tried this before, but did not restart the dpm services afterwards. 

    - added the dpm database to a tape protection group  ;-)

    Best,

    Markus

    • Marked as answer by Markus_R. _ Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:08 AM

All replies

  • Update:

    I uninstalled dpm and reinstalled it plus added UR4. With the default database everything runs fine. After a restore of our db the error comes up again. Any chance to find out which db entries cause the problem?

    Friday, November 14, 2014 8:33 AM
  • please take a closer Look at the error, Eventlog or DPM Log, there should be a related Table, View or Stored Procedure that is missing.


    Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

    Friday, November 14, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Unfortunately I am not able to find any related entries. I checked eventlog, SQLserver logs and the DPM logs under DPM\Temp. I have added the Traceloglevel entry to the registry and set it to 0x400. Again no entries with current timestamp in the dpm log. A verbose log setting fills a 15MB log file in about 5 seconds... 

    The tape backup did not run over the weekend. I get a number of failed SQL Jobs in the event log: 

    SQL Server Scheduled Job 'b176171f-43f8-41c0-aa05-8c7208080c19' (0x2E83A67F375A1E4098FE306980DC2328) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2014-11-17 12:30:00 - Message: The job failed.  The Job was invoked by Schedule 27148 (Schedule 1).  The last step to run was step 1 (Default JobStep).

    I am tempted to do a complete reinstall of the DPM server and OS; my problem is that I lose all current backups doing so. Running out of ideas.

    Best,

    Markus

    Monday, November 17, 2014 12:17 PM
  • After letting the server sit for the weekend I could finally solve the problem. What I did:

    - changed the sqlserver and sql agent service user to the local microsoft$dpm$acct (was running under system account before). Restarted sqlserver- and dpm services.

    - removed a number of failed jobs from the agent job list (their execution path pointed to the installation path of dpm 2012, which was upgraded to 2012 R2)

    - Applied the latest cumlative update 1 for sqlserver 2012 SP2

    - recreated the mta folder under the dpm temp folder that I accidentally deleted during the cleanup of the tracelogs, which led to tape backups failing

    - rebooted

    I think that the first point was the most important. I tried this before, but did not restart the dpm services afterwards. 

    - added the dpm database to a tape protection group  ;-)

    Best,

    Markus

    • Marked as answer by Markus_R. _ Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:08 AM