none
Project Server 2010 Task page - An unknown error has occurred RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have searched inside the forum for similar problems but i didn't find any solution.

We have Project Server 2010 with December CU installed and we are experiencing a serious problem with two enterprise resources.

They can login to pwa succesfully but when they enter in the Task page the following error is raised: An unknown error has occurred

There are no errors reported in the event viewer while in the ULS Log I found only this entry but i don't know if it's related with this issue:

Detected use of SPRequest for previously closed SPWeb object. Please close SPWeb objects when you are done with all objects obtained from them, but not before. Stack trace:  
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_CurrentUser()  
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.get_RegionalSettings()  
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJContext.get_LocaleCulture()  
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WCFContext.AuthenticateUser(Message message, WCFContext& wcfContext, String userName, Boolean isWindowsUser)  
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WCFContext.GetContext(Message message, String userName, Boolean isWindowsUser, Boolean newCookie, Uri originalTargetUri)  
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ProjectServerRouter.Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.IProjectServerRouter.ProcessMessage(Message message)  
     at SyncInvokeProcessMessage(Object , Object[] , Object[] )  
     at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.DispatchAndReleasePump(RequestContext request, Boolean cleanThread, OperationContext currentOperationContext)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.HandleRequest(RequestContext request, OperationContext currentOperationContext)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler.AsyncMessagePump(IAsyncResult result)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.AsyncThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(IAsyncResult result)  
     at System.ServiceModel.AsyncResult.Complete(Boolean completedSynchronously)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.InputQueue`1.AsyncQueueReader.Set(Item item)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.InputQueue`1.EnqueueAndDispatch(Item item, Boolean canDispatchOnThisThread)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.InputQueue`1.EnqueueAndDispatch(T item, ItemDequeuedCallback dequeuedCallback, Boolean canDispatchOnThisThread)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.InputQueueChannel`1.EnqueueAndDispatch(TDisposable item, ItemDequeuedCallback dequeuedCallback, Boolean canDispatchOnThisThread)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SingletonChannelAcceptor`3.Enqueue(QueueItemType item, ItemDequeuedCallback dequeuedCallback, Boolean canDispatchOnThisThread)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SingletonChannelAcceptor`3.Enqueue(QueueItemType item, ItemDequeuedCallback dequeuedCallback)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelListener.HttpContextReceived(HttpRequestContext context, ItemDequeuedCallback callback)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpTransportManager.HttpContextReceived(HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult result)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.BeginRequest()  
     at System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.OnBeginRequest(Object state)  
     at System.ServiceModel.PartialTrustHelpers.PartialTrustInvoke(ContextCallback callback, Object state)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.OnBeginRequestWithFlow(Object state)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.Invoke2()  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.Invoke()  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.ProcessCallbacks()  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.CompletionCallback(Object state)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.ScheduledOverlapped.IOCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)  
     at System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.IOCompletionThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(UInt32 error, UInt32 bytesRead, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)  
     at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)

It's not a task related errors because i have alredy done an analysis of the resorce's assignments.

I have also verified IIS authentication settings as described in this post but all had been alredy correctly configured.

We have a farm installation with two physical server:

• Application Server with Windows 2008 R2, SharePoint 2010 Enterprise, Project Server 2010
    • Database Server with Windows 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 SP2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Raffaele

Friday, April 8, 2011 3:38 PM

Answers

• Raf,

Often when you get these types of errors, there is something occuring on the SQL Server side.  Error message doesn't bubble up over the sharePoint services.  For additional details, you need to turn on SQL Tracing on the server side and then reproduce your error message.  See what kind of errors are occuring.  The correlation id will link your messages to the events in the SQL server trace.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Raffaele,

Please see this Brian Smith's post where he has mentioned the same issue and scripted the resolution.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2010/07/02/project-server-2010-an-unknown-error-has-occurred-in-project-center-resource-center-or-tasks.aspx

Let me know if this helps you.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Hi Khurram,

thanks for your help but, as I mentioned in my previous post, I had already tried the solution provided by Brian Smith in his blog but it didn't work.

Moreover I think that if the IIS authentication settings are wrong all the resources shouled get the error.

I have also saw this Brian's post but it doesn't apply to my case because I verified that other enterprise resoruces are assigned to the same set of tasks, but only two of their they get this nonsense error: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2011/03/21/project-server-2010-amp-another-unknown-error.aspx

I'm quite disappointed by the problems that Project Server is causing.

Thanks

Raffaele

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:07 AM
  • Nobody can help me?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

Based on what I have seen before, the problem is usually with the tasks/project. I know you say that you have done assignment analysis, but would recommend to look at the area more closely.

1. Do you use Timesheets? If yes, are there any rejected timesheets now or previously?
    2. If you do not use Timesheets, did you try a) Identifying the common project for these 2 resources and b) remove them from the common project assignments and republish and try again?

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS Blog: http://msprojectideas.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Hi Prasanna,

thanks for your help.

Respondig your qestions:

1. We use Tasks and not Timesheets. Single Entry Mode is disabled.
    2. I have already identified the common projects (2) for these resources and I have also saved and then published these projects on a test enviroment which is specular to production. In the test enviroment the problem doesn't happen. Finally I have also tried to remove resoureces assignments from the two common project and publish it but it didn't work.

The last possibile action that I have identified is to remove these resources from the enterprise resource pool and then add them again, but this is not a solution. What Will I do if the problem happen with other resources (we have 400 resources).

Thanks

Raffaele

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Hello Raffaele,

Did you find the root cause of this issue?

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    Monday, June 6, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Raf,

Often when you get these types of errors, there is something occuring on the SQL Server side.  Error message doesn't bubble up over the sharePoint services.  For additional details, you need to turn on SQL Tracing on the server side and then reproduce your error message.  See what kind of errors are occuring.  The correlation id will link your messages to the events in the SQL server trace.

Cheers!

www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:18 PM
  • I also found that this error occurs if a view is using a filter that no longer exists or that has been changed. I resolved by updating the view and removing the filter, saving and then put the filter back in.

Also, when saving filter back, make sure the EPM code and tables are properly defined and that they exist.

www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, August 1, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Hi Raf,

So did u resolve that issue and what is solution ?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:08 AM
  • I'd definitely try the latest CU.  We ran into this issue a couple of months
    ago, and I believe it was tied to the duplicate custom field issue resolved
    1-2 CU's ago.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hi Raffaele, try re-publishing the Project. This should Works.

|Andres Rojas|MCITP SharePoint 2010, MCTS, MCP|Follow my blog at http://arojaspa.blogspot.com|Bogotá - Colombia| http://twitter.com/arojaspa|

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Hi Raffaele

I to facing same issue("An unknown error has occurred"  while loading mytask page).
    how did you solve this issue.

Thanks
    salahudeen A
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

I faced exactly the same problem: some resources try to connect to My Tasks, and get an Unknown error. No error message in ULS or Eventlog.

I hope I solved the problem, and want to share the experience here.
    First, by reading this article, http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/Unknown%20Error%20My%20Tasks%20Page.aspx: even if the SQL Query returns me no records, it gives me the idea to delete (unpublish) some tasks (i managed to identify some tasks which raised the problem, by assigning a test account on them, and see that the pb happened).

So I decided to delete my project from the Published Database (and keep it in the Draft of course). Than in Project Pro, I opened and Published: the problem seem to be solved.

I don't know the root cause of the pb: maybe some SQL data were corrupted for an unknown reason.

Hope it could help some one ! Don't hesitate to give feedback if you solved this pb with this solution, or workaround.

Sylvain

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Sylvain,

Just curious - did any of the rogue tasks have date constraints set (like Must Start On)?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

No constraints on task: they were defined as As soon as possible.

After some days, the problem raised again, and finally I discovered that SQL Timeout happened !

These timeout errors were not logged in ULS with default settings. After setting the logging mode to verbose, these timeout were logged, and we solved the problem by increasing the RAM in SQL Server. After that, no problems, it was definitively solved.

But today, I posted another question in the forum, for another error: If you have an idea ;-)

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6ed2e091-8f9c-40c0-995c-7bf89f5a95e6/error-when-publishing-project-on-ps2013-blocking-correlation-78?forum=projserv2010setup

BR,

Sylvain

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:16 PM