I’m a PC and windows 7 wasn’t my idea RRS feed

• Question

• The task bar for example was a fantastic idea and over the years it’s stayed pretty much the same.  A few aesthetic changes but the layout from 95 – Vista was almost unchanged.  So, the question is why is it that nice quiet MSN icon cannot stay by the clock? Or can it be moved there?

In Windows XP, folders can be “sorted” with the ability to “show in groups” this hasn’t changed much with windows 7.  it’s no longer a checkmark but a separate “group by” section on the dialog menu inside of every folder.  However, in Windows XP the layout is: a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, I, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z and other.  I find that this makes it very easy to find things in large cluttered folders (in this case a section on my hard drive called “netlink” which is used to hold all my shared programs).  I can not find this option in windows 7 (currently installed on my test bench) instead I have A-H, I-P, Q-Z, 0-9 and Other.  I find this to be a royal pain in the ass to locate files quickly and am wondering if this can change at all

I also have a folder full of images “grouped by date” (downloaded).  This folder takes FOR EVER to load as it has to resort itself every time I open it.  Is this due to windows 7 indexing?

Permissions, on EVERYTHING my test computer sits in a thermaltake black-x case, handy dandy little hard drive dock built right into the top.  Great for running virus and spyware scans on customer’s hard drives.  Also handy for backing up information should the drive need to be wiped and the OS reinstalled.  I just wish windows 7 didn’t have to take ownership, a long and seemingly unnecessary process just to move somebody’s pictures for a few hours while I rebuild their computer.  Beyond that I’ve had an instance where windows 7 will not load after a disk check.  Low and behold during the disk check the system permissions where removed so windows couldn’t access the hard drive.  On my test bench I had to go through computer management and activate the administrator account because some programs fail to see me as an admin, to spite the fact that I went through the user policies and made myself a member of EVERY group.

Lastly, why when they built windows 7 does the “classic” view look like that of windows 2000(ish).  Seriously, how many people actually used windows 2000? Why doesn’t it look like Windows XP? Help ease legacy users across? And is there some program that will do this?

Now, all in all I like the new OS there are some really handy features like the improved driver search (actually will scan sub folders), and folder merging, but the above issues are keeping me from changing over my main system to windows 7.  I thank all who have read my little rant and look forward to some suggestions

Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As we know, Windows 7 and Windows XP are different operating systems, and the difference between them is evolving. For many features, they got changed in Windows Vista, we cannot make all of them work like in Windows XP. Due to security, some features or functions are removed; for better performance, some features or functions replaced by new ones.

For example, you want to move Live Messenger Icon to the System Tray in Windows 7. By default, it would displayed in taskbar in Windows 7, as a workaround, you could check Windows Live Messenger properties, make it run in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, November 4, 2011 1:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:43 AM

All replies

• Windows Explorer - Arrange By, Sort By, Or Group By

You can mix view options with different arrange, sort, or group options, to create helpful view combinations. For instructions on how to change your view setting click the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Arrange-sort-or-group-your-files

For more information about libraries, see Working with libraries.

Also see Libraries: frequently asked questions.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

As we know, Windows 7 and Windows XP are different operating systems, and the difference between them is evolving. For many features, they got changed in Windows Vista, we cannot make all of them work like in Windows XP. Due to security, some features or functions are removed; for better performance, some features or functions replaced by new ones.

For example, you want to move Live Messenger Icon to the System Tray in Windows 7. By default, it would displayed in taskbar in Windows 7, as a workaround, you could check Windows Live Messenger properties, make it run in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, November 4, 2011 1:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

Alex Zhao

awah, thank you!
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:04 AM
  • i don't see how changing the specificity of grouping is relevant to security.  all i want i for each letter to have it's own section.  i know how to "group by" just want it to be more specific
    • Edited by RCL LTD Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:25 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:59 PM