no sound with AC 97' audio RRS feed

• Question

• I know there are may topics on this but I am having a serious problem.  I have a Gateway MX6450 laptop and the audio is AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio Built-in Speakers (Gateway's offical spec).  I had Vista beta 2 that I upgraded from XP, and it worked perfectly but when I did a fresh install of build 5536, everything is working perfect except for the sound.  It says no output device is installed and no matter what driver I try it won't install, so I am left with no sound.  Can someone please direct to the right driver, or what else I can do.
    Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have you tried the vista beta drives that RealTeck has on thier Site.  Works fine with my AC-97 media chip

Glenn

Sunday, September 3, 2006 10:40 PM
  • i get the same problem with the AC '97

u can download some file from the hardware web...  http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

enjoyyy

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 9:00 PM
  • I have the drivers installed, I have the files playing, its going through the motions, but no matter how loud I set all the volume controlls... silence, nada, no sound. I even configured windows media player to put the sound out of the "High Definition audio bus" but to no avail. The SPDIF port isen't putting out any LED/LASER light either, its like the on-board audio is dead. Vista seems to think its working, Tried every audio port and tested my headphones with a working device, the headphones work. Any ideas why it thinks it is working but isent? It even shows the green output meter bar moving up and down in the audio control which responds to the volume setting in media player.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2006 2:08 AM
  • W000TAGE! I recieve loot, HD audio! after 6 months I have a fully funtional PC, with sound. Here's how(Applies to all):

The Windows Vista audio diagnostic and installation guide

(Your best bet is to go with on board audio if you have it)

First we will disable UAP

(I found this out on my own. Everyone says to do it, but never explains how, so I will)

1. Login to the Admin account

2. then go to start, controll panel, user accounts, click the admin account, at the bottom you will see "change security settings", uncheck the UAP box, that loosens security a bit for the next step

3. reboot

Next we will permenately disable signed driver checking, yay, no more F8 pressing

(this is an excerpt by user KB3LWJ from planetAMD)

1. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and open Task Manager.
    If you already disabled User Account Control, then go to File->Run and run cmd. Go to step 3.
    If UAC is enabled or you don't know what UAC is, go to the "Processes" tab. If there's a button that says "Show processes from all users", click it and go through the popup window, then go to File->Run and run cmd.

In either case, the Run dialog should say "This task will be created with administrative privileges".

2. At the command prompt, enter Bcdedit.exe –set nointegritychecks ON.

3. Reboot your computer. The sound will now work.

This whole issue is because in x64 Vista, any kernel-mode driver (audio being one) must be signed to load (hence the "Driver cannot be loaded" error). The bcdedit command disables that requirement, allowing you to load the unsigned driver.

In this step we will ensure to disable any PCI sound cards you may have

and only leave the onboard audio enabled

1. Go to start, control panel, device manager(grey toolbox icon), scroll down till you see "sound, video game controllers and expand it"

2. If you only see one device your Onboard Audio device your good to go for now.

3. If you see another audio device, ex. Sound Blaster, right click on it and disable it, dont disable your on-board audio device.

4. close the device manager your ready for the next step.

Now to fix the media player bug

(This is actually tied to the volume control now, one and the same)

1. Open Windows Media Player

2. Right click in the black area next to the "URGE" and "Sign In" buttons. In the popup menu select "View" , then select "Classic Menus"

3. This will give you the familiar file menus (that should be default to begin with).

4. Click on tools, options, select the "devices tab", you should see "speakers" at the bottom of the list

5. Click on speakers, then hit the "properties" button, you should see at the top the "sound playback: audio device to use",in that dropdown menu pick your onboard audio device, hit apply and close that out.

The last step, download and install the correct drivers

(Try to pick driver installers that "Apply to all O/Ss" I have had 100% luck with these on all of my devices)

1. First download and install the latest chipset drivers, reboot, you will likely get a blue screen on death, the most productive blue screen of death I have seen, it just told me that the IRQ and DMA settings got blitzed, dont worry about it

2. Next install the onboard audio drivers most likely from connexant, or realtek, once done reboot

Congrats!! you should be done, hope this method works for you, took me 6 months of waiting and research to compile this gem, Mark

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:47 AM
  • Even with those things i dont seem to be able to get sound out of my computer.

Now i am even on RC1, where its the same problem all over again.

Windows says it works perfectly, though no sound!

My USB headset isnt affected at all, that device doesnt have problems with the sound.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 1:51 PM
  • on the RC1 in my computer the AC 97' AUDIO DEVICE installed automatic !!
    Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:02 AM
  • If you have a laptop with either ATI integrated Audio or Connexant audio (which claims to be AC'97 compliant) and the AC97 driver doesn't work on your x64 computer. You might need to install the XP x64 driver. It's not a signed driver but it works..

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 1:43 PM
  • Hey there,

That would be "bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on" ....ehh.

Vato

Sunday, October 1, 2006 8:14 PM
  • Did you  ever figure this out?     I have the same problem.  It  thinks it's working, lets me adjust this, that, and whatever...but  nothing is coming out of the speakers.    I looked in my services (several times) and Windows Audio (audiosrv) is set to auto but it isn't started,   nor will it start.    Says dependant services failed to start.   Guess what, they are  started.   I am at a loss and ready to pull my neighbors hair out  because I've already pulled my own out.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 5:23 AM
  • Hur får jag ljudet tillbaka med C-mediaAC97
    Sunday, October 15, 2006 6:59 PM
  • I also managed to get my Soundblaster XF-I working this way, with an extra step. I downloaded the XP Professional X64 version of the drivers downloaded from the manufacturers website and broke open the driver installer using winrar. It might be possible to do the same with other soundcards.
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:26 AM
  • My sound on Realtek AC97 also disappeared completely about 10 days ago - I went through exhaustive tests, help wizards and driver re-installs to no avail.  Midi files played fine. 

The solution I found was - in Control Panel/ Sounds and Audio devices/Audio device tab/ Sound playback "advanced" audio properties button/ performance tab, I moved the Audio playback performance acceleration slider back one notch from Full to Standard. This immediately made audio play again. 

I got the clue from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306317 which talked of reducing video acceleration as a solution to a windows media player problem.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 10:35 PM
  •  ganicholson wrote:

Have you tried the vista beta drives that RealTeck has on thier Site.  Works fine with my AC-97 media chip

Glenn

Friday, December 1, 2006 3:57 AM
  •  ganicholson wrote:

Have you tried the vista beta drives that RealTeck has on thier Site.  Works fine with my AC-97 media chip

Glenn

Friday, December 1, 2006 3:57 AM
  •  Hbk5585 wrote:
    I know there are may topics on this but I am having a serious problem.  I have a Gateway MX6450 laptop and the audio is AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio Built-in Speakers (Gateway's offical spec).  I had Vista beta 2 that I upgraded from XP, and it worked perfectly but when I did a fresh install of build 5536, everything is working perfect except for the sound.  It says no output device is installed and no matter what driver I try it won't install, so I am left with no sound.  Can someone please direct to the right driver, or what else I can do.
    Thursday, January 4, 2007 9:57 PM
  • estou com problema no som  preciso do software c-media ac 97 audio device
    Tuesday, January 16, 2007 1:34 PM
  • I have the same problem. I don't think this problem is isolated to the Vista OS, I am running Windows XP Pro. This has just started and does't always occurr (one of those nussance troubles); I believe this may be the result of a windows update with driver signatures. While working on this I found that my modem driver had a problem  a "Conextant" driver with the signature, the sound driver was loaded and when I search for an updated driver I get thew msg stating I already have the best one available. I found a simple workaround. I simply go into the device manager and  disable the device then my OS (Windows XP Pro) finds the device and reloads it properly, I don't even have to re-boot.
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 7:38 PM
  • i think i got a problem very similar to yours, i had a notebook full of virus so i reformatted the hdd with win xp pro. but after that i realised there was no audio device in the control panel. i tried all ways from uninstall to update driver and download new drivers but it kept prompting my driver is newer. but i still can't get the realtek ac97 audio to work. i didn't try disabling it like u did. hope it does work like your case. would like to get more ways if anyone out there can help... really at my wits end... save me...
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:34 PM
  • i have recently installed my new copy of vista ultimate on my pc but now im having trouble finding the driver for the ms-7071 motherboard onboard sound... i dont have a motherboard driver disk i know its a realtek driver but trying to track the right driver down isnt going too good... i hope you guys can help..

Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:10 PM
  • I have a Gateway MT3707 laptop and when I ran the Operating System disk, lost my sound.  I contacted Gateway who sent me a detailed e-mail on how to uninstall the corruped driver and to reinstall it.  It worked for me.  I tried installing drivers but they would not open until I did an uninstall first.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:22 AM
  • Thank you, brother!!!
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:49 AM
  • I've been working on my son's Gateway MX6450 and I had just reinstalled Windows XP and couldn't get the sound to work either. I've downloaded the sound driver from Gateway and asked Gateway for their help on this with zero results. The instructions they give for installation just doesn't work. The installer appears and ends up failing to install. I've really been scratching my head on this.

Anyway, I finally got it installed. This is how.

Go into Device Manager

Go to the problem device. This was mine:    "Multimedia Audio Controller" (I had no sound working)

Double click on the device

Update driver

Make it show you a list of available devices.

Click on "SHOW ALL"

Go down the list to Conexant.   It will show you 3 drivers. I picked the 1st one. (In Windows XP)

Navigate to your downloaded folder containing the "camc6aud "file and it will install the driver.

If your using Vista, shut off UAC (User Access Control) first. Don't worry about forgetting to turn

it back on again. When you restart your computer to finish the installation of the sound driver,

you'll get a reminder to turn UAC back on.

I hope this helps you!

Good Luck!

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:50 PM
  •  tomj001a wrote:

I've been working on my son's Gateway MX6450 and I had just reinstalled Windows XP and couldn't get the sound to work either. I've downloaded the sound driver from Gateway and asked Gateway for their help on this with zero results. The instructions they give for installation just doesn't work. The installer appears and ends up failing to install. I've really been scratching my head on this.

Anyway, I finally got it installed. This is how.

Go into Device Manager

Go to the problem device. This was mine:    "Multimedia Audio Controller" (I had no sound working)

Double click on the device

Update driver

Make it show you a list of available devices.

Click on "SHOW ALL"

Go down the list to Conexant.   It will show you 3 drivers. I picked the 1st one. (In Windows XP)

Navigate to your downloaded folder containing the "camc6aud "file and it will install the driver.

If your using Vista, shut off UAC (User Access Control) first. Don't worry about forgetting to turn

it back on again. When you restart your computer to finish the installation of the sound driver,

you'll get a reminder to turn UAC back on.

I hope this helps you!

Good Luck!

PS

Make sure the file that you downloaded from Gateway is extracted to another folder so you can view the camc6aud file, to be able to install it.................................BYE!

Friday, July 11, 2008 7:09 PM
  • If ANYONE has a WINDOWS XP and there is no sound coming out (especially if one has C-Media AC97 audio driver) then please read of how I solved my problem without downloading any special driver. I accidentilly deleted the C-MEdia AC97 file becuase I thought it was the source of a threatening virus. opps. I did it all manually and I am no computer genius.

1) I went to my WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER (I think it is version 11 or so)

- Becuase I had no sound coming out, the windows media player automatically informed me on where to find any

available audio devices.

2) I went to the SYNC menu

3) I went down to the OPTIONS menu

4) I double clicked SPEAKERS

5) I clicked ADVANCED

6) I clicked on the option of HARDWARE

7) There was automatically a long list of available audio drivers (I assume it comes with the software of Windows XP)

8) I clicked on MEDIA CONTROL DEVICES

9) It automatically began to search of any audio device

10) Once it finds it, it asked for a CMUDA 

11) I clicked to the file MY COMPUTER

12) I clicked to the file LOCAL DISK (C: )

13) I clicked on the folder DRIVERS

14) I clicked on the file CMUDA

15) It automatically identified it, then continued RE-INSTALLING C-Media AC97 driver

Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:16 AM
  • hey guys forget all that ********* ...my solution works...go to it

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3725971&SiteID=17

comment and post in there..
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:13 AM
  • I know there are may topics on this but I am having a serious problem.  I have a Gateway MX6450 laptop and the audio is AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio Built-in Speakers (Gateway's offical spec).  I had Vista beta 2 that I upgraded from XP, and it worked perfectly but when I did a fresh install of build 5536, everything is working perfect except for the sound.  It says no output device is installed and no matter what driver I try it won't install, so I am left with no sound.  Can someone please direct to the right driver, or what else I can do.

I realize this thread is old, but i had the same problem with the Gateway MX6450 sound driver D00377-002-001.The correct driver is as follows (D00377-002-002.exe - Gateway Conexant AC-Link Audio Driver version: 6.14.10.0575 ).The Gateway support site has the wrong driver listed for this model and probably others.Here is the driver link that brought my sound back.You will notice the driver numbers are off by 1 digit ie; "002-002" instead of "002-001".Why Gateway support team isn't aware of this, IDK?
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20819&dscr=Gateway%20Conexant%20AC-Link%20Audio%20Driver%20version:%206.14.10.0575

Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Hey tomj001a, out of all these different ways to get my sound back for my MX6450, yours was the only one that worked!!!!! Thanks for all your hard work getting here and sharing your info with all of us here. Stephen DisRetUSMC.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:18 PM

I realize this thread is old, but i had the same problem with the Gateway MX6450 sound driver D00377-002-001.The correct driver is as follows (D00377-002-002.exe - Gateway Conexant AC-Link Audio Driver version: 6.14.10.0575 ).The Gateway support site has the wrong driver listed for this model and probably others.Here is the driver link that brought my sound back.You will notice the driver numbers are off by 1 digit ie; "002-002" instead of "002-001".Why Gateway support team isn't aware of this, IDK?
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20819&dscr=Gateway%20Conexant%20AC-Link%20Audio%20Driver%20version:%206.14.10.0575

PERFECT. THANKS A LOT, IT WORKED FOR ME MATE. I HAVE GATEWAY MX6425.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 10:53 AM