SFB StatsMan PerAgent Creating Errors in App Log, Perflib RRS feed

• Question

• Since I installed the StatsMan PerfAgent _ on all the servers (Windows 2012 R2 latest patch) I see the following event every 10 minutes

So this is more of an annoyance then a major issue

Event ID 1008 Perflib

The open procedure for "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\wmiaprpl.dll" failed.

Also

The open procedure for "BITS" in DLL "C:Windows\System32\bitsPerf.dll" failed.

I have tried TechNet article 774913

I have seen some similar posts for people after installing sharepoint but can't see how this relates to the issue

Any advice welcome.

Regards

Alistair

Monday, September 5, 2016 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi AlistairK,

Welcome to post in our forum.

Would you please tell us if you could use skype for business normally in your environment with the event ID 1008 ?

Did you see the event ID in the event viewer?

If you cannot use the SFB normally, would you please tell us if all users have the issue or specific user has the issue ?

If the specific user has the issue, you could try to delete SFB cache file.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\UserName@Domain.com

Moreover, make sure both your SFB server and client with the latest update.

If all user couldn’t use SFB, it may be something wrong with the SFB server side, in order to do further troubleshooting, could you please provide some event log on SFB FE server ?

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:39 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

So this issue does not impact the core function of SFB and is in no way related to clients

I have installed "Statistics Manager for Skype for Business Server 2015" _ https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/mt604834.aspx

Since installing the agent on the SFB servers, in the windows application log I now get 4 errors recorded in the application log every 10 minutes.

These errors relate to performance counters. These errors started 10 minutes after installing the StatsManager Agent

Ref

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774913(v=ws.10).aspx

In all other aspects all systems are working perfectly including StatsManager

Regards

Alistair

Alistair

• Edited by AlistairK Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:55 PM Typo
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Hi AlistairK,

Thanks for your update.

The following is the steps of deploying Statistics Manager for Skype for Business:

1.Prepare the Listener host machine by installing the Redis in-memory caching system, and by ensuring that you have installed the appropriate certificates.

2.Install the Listener service on the host machine.

3.Install the Website on the host machine.

4.Install an Agent on each Skype for Business Server machine you wish to monitor.

5.Import the topology for the servers you are monitoring.

Please check if you have the correct steps.

The following is about troubleshooting Statistics Manager for Skype for Business Server 2015, please refer to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt703767.aspx

Hope this helpful to you.

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 9, 2016 8:12 AM
  • I am also seeing the same thing.

I suspect it's a permissions problem as there is a related blog here: http://weblogs.asp.net/wesleybakker/Solving-WmiApRpl-and-BITS-errors-with-SharePoint-2013-on-Windows-Server-2012

Since the Statistcs Manager agent on each machine is running as "Network Service" I added that service as read only to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Performance and  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WmiApRpl\Performance  but that didn't resolve.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Thanks. Yes I saw that post also. I agree it does sound like this is where the problem is

The agents run as a network service. So I have tried granting security to everyone, network service etc on one server but the issue persists.

Regards 

Alistair

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:59 AM
  • As an experiment I changed the Agent service to use the LocalSystem account and I haven't had the event in the last thirty minutes (every ten before).

It's probably not best practice to run it with such a highly privileged account however.  But there is more evidence it's a permissions issue.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Hi AlistairK,

Thanks for your response.

Based on my further research, Perflib Event ID 1008 in application log may be caused by the permission with account running under Microsoft monitoring agent

So please try to double check the permission mentioned by Jay.

Hope this helpful to you.

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Saturday, September 17, 2016 3:23 AM
  • The point is that the Network Service account obviously does not have the necessary permissions to access the performance libraries for those to modules.  That doesn't seem to affect the functioning of Statistics Manager but it does create errors in the event log which I would argue is never a good thing.

Giving the agent service System privileges gets rid of the errors but seeing as MS has set the agent installation to use the Network Service by default it says to me that they don't recommend using the System account.  Giving the Network Service Read for Full Control to the Peformance key of these registry entries doesn't make the error go away.

So what is the solution if we want these errors to go away?

Monday, September 19, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Thanks all for the input

I have raised an MS case and will report back.

Alistair

Monday, September 26, 2016 4:56 PM
  • I thought I would update

It seems this is a known issue and there is no imminent fix as this is not service impacting.

The workaround is to simply disable the faulting performance counter. I suggest only disabling those reporting a fault. Potential candidates may be

1. lodctr /D:BITS

2. lodctr /D:WMIAPRPL

3. lodctr /D:LSA

4. lodctr /D:.NETFramework   

5. lodctr /D:PerfNet   

This command simply adds a Dword. "Disable Performance Counters" in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\<Name>#Performance

See

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2010/03/04/two-minute-drill-disabled-performance-counters-and-exctrlst-exe/

Seems to work. Though WMIAPRPL seems to re-enable itself after a period.

Alistair

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:50 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:44 AM
  • Thanks Alistair,

Alternatively if the risk is acceptable to you running the agent service as a Local System account seems to work as well.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:12 PM
  • True _ thanks for testing that scenario

Alistair

Thursday, September 29, 2016 6:43 AM