nVidia 9800 GTX shuts monitor off on Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I've had the system for a good 2 years now, and for about the last 6 months or so its been doing something odd.

Every so often I would boot up, and the resolution would change itself. It was nothing major, I would just change it back.. however now, sometimes I get to the login screen and the monitor turns off. Sometimes it makes it to the desktop then off. Other times I could be playing a game for an hour or two and it just randomly goes off. The computer stays on - It still makes noises etc.

I measured the PSU voltages and they are fine. The CPU heat was quite high, so I dusted out the case and provided some better case flow. It reduced the temp, but it still crashes. I tried the card in another computer with Win7 and it works fine. I updated the drivers in Safe Mode (it never turns off in safe mode).

I tried a different card (ATI 5870) and it works fine on the comp with Vista.

Tried new RAM. Still crashes.

I am at a loss here, and not sure where to go from here.

Could it be a driver issue? Could it be a Vista issue?

Monday, February 7, 2011 6:12 AM

Answers

• Well it seemed to be not being friendly all yesterday. I rebooted probably 50 times and could not get to the desktop.

So, I put my 5870 card back in it.. and uninstalled Vista. Installed Windows 7, and put the old card back in... and it works perfectly now. Updated the drivers and everything and no more crashing.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:40 AM

All replies

• Go to Control Panel "Classic View". Performance and Information Tools, Click Advanced Tools, Look at Performance Issues (is there a yellow triangle) if so click the words next to the triangle to see what adjustments are needed. Take note and click OK, do not click Remove from list as you will want to check back after applying changes. Post back if you still need help.
    Monday, February 7, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Well it seemed to be not being friendly all yesterday. I rebooted probably 50 times and could not get to the desktop.

So, I put my 5870 card back in it.. and uninstalled Vista. Installed Windows 7, and put the old card back in... and it works perfectly now. Updated the drivers and everything and no more crashing.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:40 AM
  • definitely a driver problem
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:30 PM