Windows Server Backup Failing to Start SBS 2011 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• When I start Windows Server Backup in SBS 2011 Standard I get:
    "Cannot create a stable subkey under a volatile parent key."

I get the same message when I run "wbadmin get versions" on command prompt.

Can anybody help
    Regards, Tobi

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Tobi, from the error message, it seems to be SQL server related. I have some suggestions regarding the issue:

1)You can check vsswriters by using the command:

vssadmin list writers

and post the result here. If it shows "State: failed", you can try register the following files:

net stop "System Event Notification Service"
    net stop "COM+ Event System"
    net stop "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
    net stop "Volume Shadow Copy"
    cd /d %windir%\system32
    net stop vss
    net stop swprv
    regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
    regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 /s vss_ps.dll
    vssvc /register
    regsvr32 /s /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /s /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 /s es.dll
    regsvr32 /s stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 /s vssui.dll
    regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
    net start "System Event Notification Service"
    net start "COM+ Event System"
    net start "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
    net start "Volume Shadow Copy"

2)Check writer error in event log, such as SQLWRITER error or Exchange VSS Writer  error.

If the issue is narrowed down as SQL related, you can then post the issue to the following forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sqlserver

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:06 AM
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Tobi, from the error message, it seems to be SQL server related. I have some suggestions regarding the issue:

1)You can check vsswriters by using the command:

vssadmin list writers

and post the result here. If it shows "State: failed", you can try register the following files:

net stop "System Event Notification Service"
    net stop "COM+ Event System"
    net stop "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
    net stop "Volume Shadow Copy"
    cd /d %windir%\system32
    net stop vss
    net stop swprv
    regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
    regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 /s vss_ps.dll
    vssvc /register
    regsvr32 /s /i swprv.dll
    regsvr32 /s /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 /s es.dll
    regsvr32 /s stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 /s vssui.dll
    regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
    net start "System Event Notification Service"
    net start "COM+ Event System"
    net start "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
    net start "Volume Shadow Copy"

2)Check writer error in event log, such as SQLWRITER error or Exchange VSS Writer  error.

If the issue is narrowed down as SQL related, you can then post the issue to the following forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sqlserver

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:06 AM
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Dear Tobi,

I have almost the same problem, do you have solved the problem yet? if so will you please reply to me or mail me reinoud@tiscali.nl

Please, i'm really desparete...

I hope you can help!!

Regards, Reinoud

Sunday, October 9, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Hi Sean

Is this problem solved ?

Our VSSadmin list - shows no erros but still starting the "wbadmin.msc" on our fresh installed SBS 2011 says that "Cannot create a stable subkey under a volatile parent key"

Antivirus has to this point not been installed, the only thing that has been installed is a MS SQL 2008 R2, including SQL Server Management Studio, but that is installed per default anyway.

Kind Regards

Brian

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:12 AM
  • Hi Reinoud

Did you solve your Problem ?

Kind Regards Brian

Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:47 AM
  • Hi Sean

How would this error be SQL Related ?

Kind Regards

Brian

Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Hi Brian,

I have the same problem.

Did you get a solution by now?

Regards

Wolfgang

Monday, March 11, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Dear Wolfgang

No solution till now, I was thinking of just deinstalling the "SQL Server Management Studio" both the default one  and the one from the SQL Server Premium addin. Do you also have the premium edition ?

Regards BRIAN 

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Hi Brian,

our problem with wbadmin.msc is not related to any SQL Server Managent Studio installations (althoug others have a similar Problem related to SQL).

I could track down the problem to the subkey DIAG in HKLM\\System\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\Diag  which apparently is volatile (instead of permanent) and have no idea where this comes from. The process wbengine.exe, which is the Block Level Backup Engine Service, tries to read or write to a non existent Subkey SPP of Diag which produces the error. I then tied to add the SPP subkey to Diag manually which is rejected with a similar error "cannot write to registry".

A probable solution to our Problem is to stop the VSS Service, rename the current subkey Diag to something like Diag.bad and create a new subkey Diag with the proper permissions, then restart the computer.  I tested this solution on a virtual SBS 2011 test machine and could affirm that the empty subkey is poblutated with probably correct subkeys and values including the former missing subkey SPP. After that I could start the wbadmin console and performed a complete backup. Because I tried this on a machine which did backups before with no problems, I am not sure if this could succeed on the problematic production server. And I would not try do this on the production server as long as I do not get an ok from Microsoft.

Perhaps you can try this on your problematic machine, as my problematic machine is some 300 km away and is manged remotely.

Regards Wolfgang

Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Dear Wolfgang

Which permissions would be correct for the subkey ? We alreadystopped the VSS Service, deleted the subkey DIAG and rebooted the server, that did not work for our installation, I will retry creating the Subkey DIAG prior to rebooting maybe that works. I will also check if we have the SPP subkey and post you the information.

BRIAN

Friday, March 15, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Hi Brian,

after stopping the VSS service, delete or rename the current subkey Diag to something like Diag.bad (it will disappear after reboot anyway) and create a new key Diag. In permissions add NETWORKSERVICE and give full access (at least special permission "write value" and "create subkey" to this key). You also should give full access to <yourdomain>\spfarm - you can look at the correct name in the subkey VSS\VssAccessControl.

After that restart the VSS Service (restart system not necessary) and try the command "wbadmin get disks" in a priviledged console. If you don't get an error to this command, you should be able to configure backup in SBS 2011 console.

Wolfgang

Friday, March 15, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Dear Wolfgang

To be honest I tried your solution days ago but it did not work BUT this time I created the subkey MANUALY and now it works as you explained, once agan thank you for your help, I think the solution was a few times suggested but with the one difference that you MUST create the key if the system creates the key it will fail.

Kind regards for your good explained walk through.

Brian

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:36 PM