VLAN support for virtual machines in App Controller RRS feed

• Question

• System Center App Controller Beta

VMM 2012 RC

Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V

While experimenting with a virtual machine running on a cloud, I've noticed that I can't specify a VLAN if the logical network has more than one VLAN available as defined in VMM. Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:42 PM

Answers

• A logical network encompasses a subnet and a vlan.  A VMM administrator can create mutiple logical networks for the needs of his/her self service users using the "Create Logical Network" wizard in the VMM Console (in the Fabric view).  

App Controller chose only to surface logical networks in App Controller to keep the experience simple and targeted on self service users that likely are not familiar with concepts like VLANs. 

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:13 PM

All replies

• I recommend asking this question in the VMM forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrhyperv/threads

• Proposed as answer by David Armour [MSFT] Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Randyisit Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:40 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:58 PM
  • I'm note sure if a cross post is appropriate right now.

I have no problem with specifying the VLAN when using the VMM 2012 interface. This seems to be an issue with App Controller.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:42 AM
  • I'm confused.  App Controller does not allow you to specify a VLAN.  It only allows you to select a Logical Network.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Apologies for any confusion. Your response regarding the selection of only Logical Networks is key here.

Do you have any guidance for customers who are looking to associate multiple VLANs with one Logical Network?

Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:09 AM
  • A logical network encompasses a subnet and a vlan.  A VMM administrator can create mutiple logical networks for the needs of his/her self service users using the "Create Logical Network" wizard in the VMM Console (in the Fabric view).  

App Controller chose only to surface logical networks in App Controller to keep the experience simple and targeted on self service users that likely are not familiar with concepts like VLANs. 

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Thank you for the feedback David. I went ahead and broke up the mulit-vlan Logical Networks into their own seperate Logical Networks. After some testing what I'm seeing is that when a change in Logical Network is made to a virtual machine in App Controller, the Logical Network is selected on the VMM side but without the enabling and selection of the VLAN (referring to what I'm seeing in the vm's hardware properties). I'll go ahead and cross post to see if someone else is having similar issues.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for using the product I spent the last year building.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:27 PM
  • David, using the screenshot in your post above, would you then reccomend creating a new Logical Network for each vlan (44 and 2)?

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:36 PM
  • I don't think I am an expert enough in this area to make a recommendation.  I do know that in many organizations, the people who want to get a VM, don't know much more than their VM needs be be in "CorpNet" or "Internet" or "DMZ".  They think in this higher level concept and not at the VLAN or even subnet level.  They simply care that the VM can communicate over the network to some other system. 

I'm not a networking expert, but I believe there are a couple of reasons for VLAN use.  If you are using VLANs to accomodate more connections on a network, you might want to create a logical network with multiple VLANs.  But if you are using VLANs to segregate networks, then it seems you would want to make a logical network per VLAN.  Perhaps folks in the VMM forum would be better to answer this type of question.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:25 PM
  • While a VLAN cannot be chosen when deploying a VM via App Controller, the VM template (typically created by an administrator) can have a binding to a logical network plus a VLAN. App Controller should preserve this binding when deploying.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Hello,

I've exactly the same problem than Randy's. It is really blocking in a hosted environment...

Any update from MSFT ?

Pierre

• Proposed as answer by HEWI1083 Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:47 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by HEWI1083 Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:48 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:49 PM
  • I have the same problem.

I have 28 vlans and 28 subnets in one logical network.

It works fine, as long as vmm choses a vlan/ip adrress from the pool.

But i can't isolate, that a given self service user can access only 5 vlans/ip pools in a given location.

trying to remove the ip pool/vlan for the logical network, and create a new logical network will fail.

"No connection to logical network with sufficient resources could be found." error ID: 23765.

So.... how do i make a test cloud for a test user with only those vlan/ip pools that i want to give him.???

If i hav to make templates for 10 machines in 28 vlans i have to make 280 templates ?

• Edited by HEWI1083 Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:01 AM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:54 AM
  • I have the same problem. Does anyone resolve this problem?
    Monday, July 30, 2012 1:28 PM