Windows Server Essentials Connector Software RRS feed

• Question

• I am not able to select my server ip address using Windows Server Essentials Connector. The selection is grayed out and automatically goes to username and password screen.

Friday, September 27, 2019 9:40 PM

Answers

• It does that when it automatically finds the Essentials server (i.e. that behavior is "by design"). Simply enter in the user name and password for the user in order to join the client computer to the domain. Or, if you're using the SkipDomainJoin connection method, then enter in the admin user name and password for your Essentials server.
    • Marked as answer by Steveowe Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:54 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 10:33 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  After entering user name and password I receive the following error. 

Cannot connect this computer to the network, The server is not available, try connecting this computer again.

• Marked as answer by Steveowe Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:38 PM
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

Please check below:
    1. Ping WSE’s IP address is working on the client system.
    2. Manually configure Preferred DNS server as your WSE’s IP address (if it is your internal DNS server) of TCP/IPv4 Properties on client system.
    3. Disable TCP/IPv4 on client system temporarily and check the result.
    4. Connect client to WSE’s network using wired cable if possible and try to connect again.

If problem persisits, please provide more information:
    1. Have you connected this client to WSE before?
    2. Will such problem only happens on specific client system, or, most client systems?
    3. On problematic client, please open Run, type %programdata%Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs and end with Enter, find log files ClientDeploy.log and ComputerConnector.log.
    4. Run Winver on both client and WSE, provide me the detail OS build information. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

>I noticed two additional user accounts and other account automatically created.
    In general, user account(AD domain credential) are manually created by domain admin via Dashboard. And you can connect client to WSE using the existing user account.

I am not sure if you mean the account created on client system (C:\Users), or, created on WSE Dashboard? Are they domain or workgroup credential? 

If not necessary, manually migrate/copy data from old user credential to new one is a workaround. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by Steveowe Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:49 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 1:24 AM
  • Yes, I do mean the new account created on client system (C:\Users), After this process they now connected to the domain credential.  I would like to avoid having to perform the workaround suggested.  User would also loose previous history.  This wouldn't be bad at all with a new install but not good for existing user account. 

• Marked as answer by Steveowe Friday, October 4, 2019 6:58 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Server Essentials supports user profile migration only for Windows 7, the Connect Computer to the Server Wizard can automatically migrate the user profile.

The user profile cannot be transferred automatically when connecting a Windows 8 and later OS version to the server. However, on a Windows 8 computer, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer data and settings from the original local user to the domain-joined computer. For Windows 10, you may need to manually transfer data to domain profile. 

Reference section “Move computer data and settings manually”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/use/get-connected-in-windows-server-essentials#BKMK_12

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:21 AM

All replies

• It does that when it automatically finds the Essentials server (i.e. that behavior is "by design"). Simply enter in the user name and password for the user in order to join the client computer to the domain. Or, if you're using the SkipDomainJoin connection method, then enter in the admin user name and password for your Essentials server.
    • Marked as answer by Steveowe Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:54 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 10:33 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  After entering user name and password I receive the following error. 

Cannot connect this computer to the network, The server is not available, try connecting this computer again.

Sunday, September 29, 2019 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

Please check below:
    1. Ping WSE’s IP address is working on the client system.
    2. Manually configure Preferred DNS server as your WSE’s IP address (if it is your internal DNS server) of TCP/IPv4 Properties on client system.
    3. Disable TCP/IPv4 on client system temporarily and check the result.
    4. Connect client to WSE’s network using wired cable if possible and try to connect again.

If problem persisits, please provide more information:
    1. Have you connected this client to WSE before?
    2. Will such problem only happens on specific client system, or, most client systems?
    3. On problematic client, please open Run, type %programdata%Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs and end with Enter, find log files ClientDeploy.log and ComputerConnector.log.
    4. Run Winver on both client and WSE, provide me the detail OS build information. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for checking back with me.  I am sorry for my late response.  I was able to connect client computer to the server; however, I did notice something that may not be cool.

I noticed two additional user accounts and other account automatically created.  My concern is connecting client computers and client loosing or having to copy files to a new created user account.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 9:58 PM
  • Hi,

>I noticed two additional user accounts and other account automatically created.
    In general, user account(AD domain credential) are manually created by domain admin via Dashboard. And you can connect client to WSE using the existing user account.

I am not sure if you mean the account created on client system (C:\Users), or, created on WSE Dashboard? Are they domain or workgroup credential? 

If not necessary, manually migrate/copy data from old user credential to new one is a workaround. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by Steveowe Thursday, October 3, 2019 7:49 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 1:24 AM
  • Yes, I do mean the new account created on client system (C:\Users), After this process they now connected to the domain credential.  I would like to avoid having to perform the workaround suggested.  User would also loose previous history.  This wouldn't be bad at all with a new install but not good for existing user account. 

Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Server Essentials supports user profile migration only for Windows 7, the Connect Computer to the Server Wizard can automatically migrate the user profile.

The user profile cannot be transferred automatically when connecting a Windows 8 and later OS version to the server. However, on a Windows 8 computer, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer data and settings from the original local user to the domain-joined computer. For Windows 10, you may need to manually transfer data to domain profile. 

Reference section “Move computer data and settings manually”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/use/get-connected-in-windows-server-essentials#BKMK_12

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:21 AM