Forms based authentication help RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to set up forms based authentication for all my customers. I want to use an ASP.NET database to store the credentials and authenticate customers. SP will use security filtering to determine what they are able to access in SP, but they will need read access to SSRS in order to view reports for the content they see.

How would I tie all FBA to a domain service account just for viewing SSRS?

For example:

Customer1 – SP access determined by security filtering. They would see SP subsite 1

SSRS access determined by a domain service account which would have read access to all reports, but because of SP security filtering, they would still only see reports for subsite 1.

Customer2 – SP access determined by security filtering. They would see SP subsite 2

SSRS access determined by a domain service account which would have read access to all reports, but because of SP security filtering, they would still only see reports for subsite 2.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:52 PM

Answers

• I use Sharepoint 2013 FBA Pack on Codeplex to accomplish FBA on SPS 2013 EE. I use both FBA and AD on this web application. Both FBA and AD users can view SSRS reports without any modification, just by giving them access as you normally would on a SharePoint site. I use the "Content Search Web Part" to display sites the FBA and AD users have access to.... You will have to configure the web parts query to show only sites. SPS 2013 search OOB trims the results to only show items the user has access to...

If you need any help, let me know. -bill

• Proposed as answer by Bill Burke Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by JasonGuo Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:19 PM

All replies

• You would need to setup your data sources based off a shared ID for each customer.  I am not certain what you're meaning by 'domain service account' for SSRS.  It works in either a trusted account (using the app pool identity) which prevents you from specifying user IDs for data sources or windows account (which uses kerberos).  In the latter case you'd be using unique IDs for your data sources.

MCITP-EA | "Never test how deep the water is with both feet"

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:44 PM
  • I use Sharepoint 2013 FBA Pack on Codeplex to accomplish FBA on SPS 2013 EE. I use both FBA and AD on this web application. Both FBA and AD users can view SSRS reports without any modification, just by giving them access as you normally would on a SharePoint site. I use the "Content Search Web Part" to display sites the FBA and AD users have access to.... You will have to configure the web parts query to show only sites. SPS 2013 search OOB trims the results to only show items the user has access to...

If you need any help, let me know. -bill

• Proposed as answer by Bill Burke Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by JasonGuo Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:19 PM
  • @Bill Burke - This is a great suggestion, I will get back to you after I have implemented this into my site collection.  Everything that the Sharepoint 2013 FBA Pack features is very appealing. 
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:48 PM