none
Error id 31162 - unable to switch DPM agent

Question

• Hi,

i have 2 dpm servers in different locations and although i have moved five servers form one to the other, i having an issue with a DC that is bringing up the 31162 error - "one or more of the selected data sources are already configured for protection on the primary DPM server. When you switch back protection, the replicas of these data sources will be protected from the primary DPM server (ID:31162)"

i have removed the agent and all instances from the production server. i have checked and removed any trace from both the primary and secondary DPM servers (within Distributed COM users, DPMRADmTrustedMachines and DPMRADCOMTrustedMachines). The agent has then been installed manually and attached using the powershell on the secondary but it is still displaying the same error.

Like i said, i have performed this on five other servers and they flew through - just uninstalled from primary and then rolled out the agent from the secondary and they are backing up fine

i have seen this error on a number of threads and there doesn't appear to be any fix for it

Friday, July 27, 2012 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As per the community comment at the bottom of this page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410636.aspx

Moving protected servers between DPM servers while under secondary protection is not supported.

PS1 - Protected Serve-1
    PS2 - Protected Server-2
    DPM1 - Primary DPM Server-1
    DPM2 - Primary DPM Server-2
    DPM-DR - Secondary DR DPM Server

Consider the following:

PS1 is being protected by DPM1
    PS2 is being protected by DPM2
    DPM-DR is secondarily protecting PS1, and PS2 on DPM1 and DPM2.

Senario-1
    =======
    DPM1 fails or is removed from the configuration and you want DPM2 to now be the primary DPM Server for PS1 and have DPM-DR secondarily protect it.

Senario-2
    =======
    DPM1 fails or is removed from the configuration and you want DPM-DR to now be the primary DPM Server for PS1

Both of the above Senarios are unsupported.

The only supported options for these senarios are:

A) Switch protection on DPM-DR for PS1 and let DPM-DR be the primary server for that data source going forward.
    (NOTE: You cannot add secondary protection for PS1 on another DPM-DR2 server)
    B) Rebuid the failed DPM1 server using same name and restoring SQL DPMDB from a good backup. This will allow DPM1 resume primary protection.
    C) Move PS1 to a new DPM3 server that DPM-DR does not know about.

With the above said, it's "by design" that you cannot more protected servers around while a secondary DPM server is in the mix, however we do have a solution if you open a support case to allow protection of that DC.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As per the community comment at the bottom of this page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410636.aspx

Moving protected servers between DPM servers while under secondary protection is not supported.

PS1 - Protected Serve-1
    PS2 - Protected Server-2
    DPM1 - Primary DPM Server-1
    DPM2 - Primary DPM Server-2
    DPM-DR - Secondary DR DPM Server

Consider the following:

PS1 is being protected by DPM1
    PS2 is being protected by DPM2
    DPM-DR is secondarily protecting PS1, and PS2 on DPM1 and DPM2.

Senario-1
    =======
    DPM1 fails or is removed from the configuration and you want DPM2 to now be the primary DPM Server for PS1 and have DPM-DR secondarily protect it.

Senario-2
    =======
    DPM1 fails or is removed from the configuration and you want DPM-DR to now be the primary DPM Server for PS1

Both of the above Senarios are unsupported.

The only supported options for these senarios are:

A) Switch protection on DPM-DR for PS1 and let DPM-DR be the primary server for that data source going forward.
    (NOTE: You cannot add secondary protection for PS1 on another DPM-DR2 server)
    B) Rebuid the failed DPM1 server using same name and restoring SQL DPMDB from a good backup. This will allow DPM1 resume primary protection.
    C) Move PS1 to a new DPM3 server that DPM-DR does not know about.

With the above said, it's "by design" that you cannot more protected servers around while a secondary DPM server is in the mix, however we do have a solution if you open a support case to allow protection of that DC.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Hi thanks for this but the scenarios you outline do not appear to apply to my scenario

my current scenario

DPM Alpha is currently backing up PS1,PS2, PS3 and PS4 in London.

DPM Beta is currently backing up PS5, PS6, PS7 and PS8 in New York

All DPM servers and PS on the same domain local.alphabet.com but with different subdomains 192.168.10.1 (london) and 192.168.20.1 (new york)

PS1 and PS2  have been moved from DPM Alpha onto DPM Beta by releasing the agent and reinstalling

PS5 and PS 6 have been moved from DPM Beta onto DPM Alpha using the same method

PS3 (the London DC) will not move over and displays the 31162 error.

Monday, July 30, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

If DPM beta in NY was indeed a secondary DPM server to DPM Alpha in London, then moving any of the PS1 - PS4 from London to NY should have resulted in the same error 31162, not just the DC (PS3).  In any case, since you are receiving that error, there is no workaround other than the one described.

Monday, July 30, 2012 4:37 PM
  • but i dont understand why the other PS had no problem moving over?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:33 AM
  • We have the same Problem, all but one PS could be moved easily.

And we did not use secondary protection - we were just backing up the database from one DPM with the other one.

Did you ever solve it?

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Monday, January 26, 2015 9:06 AM